Best Cams for Old Muscle car sound?

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
I thought stage 3 comp cams sounded really good but it seems like ima have to spend a lot of money to get other upgrades for my car to handle them. Any other suggestions?

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
I thought stage 3 comp cams sounded really good but it seems like ima have to spend a lot of money to get other upgrades for my car to handle them. Any other suggestions?
Hi, I’m speaking to 2 others in similar position(s), at the N.A.or F.I. Turnpike junction. Pulled fairly fresh pricing Data, one has an 03’ GT. Should introduce you two!
I do a lot of performance building, usually upgrading, like this- have rarely ventured this way, 96’-04’, (PI Heads/Intake need be there on 96’&97’s) gains & Drivability- less, Cost per HP- more, why it’s not generally a sought out area. Most look for max gains, min$&.
IMO, it’s all good & you’ll be happy with them, you can be near bone stock & run them, should have 3.73’s or 4.10’s., SCT Tuner w/BAMA is sufficient. Or, your own Tuning, Local Dyno.
Why Cams work better in 05’ & up 4.6’s is the Variable Valve Timing (Phasing) is present, best of both worlds, to a Degree.
1) First off, 5 Speed Car?
2) What’s your ultimate power goal(s) for the Car’s future?
3) Or, is this more of just some solid gains with good Street-ability, & a lumpy idle?
4) Are you in an area where Annual Inspections are tight & it’s going to haunt you if you go with Comp’s Stage 3 Cam’s & other Mods?
5) As researched, it’s not only the Cam’s costs, but if they need the front sprockets, Bolt-on, they’re 350$ a whack, Bolts, Springs, Retainers, Keepers, Gaskets another 400$+. Talking over a Grand for the Cams, installed.
6) If you Shop between Summit & AM, the Costs above are slightly less.
You can run them with basic Bolt-on’s, you’ll lose some bottom end, gain Mid-upper RPM’s. Noted very close P/V clearances with the 0.550 lift, Duration, but the adjustable Cam gears will squeak them by. (02’ GT).
You can install them & build over time to potentiate the gains as $& comes. Don’t feel you need to do it all supporting Mods at once.
Any questions, please- feel free!
-John

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
Hi, I’m speaking to 2 others in similar position(s), at the N.A.or F.I. Turnpike junction. Pulled fairly fresh pricing Data, one has an 03’ GT. Should introduce you two!
I do a lot of performance building, usually upgrading, like this- have rarely ventured this way, 96’-04’, (PI Heads/Intake need be there on 96’&97’s) gains & Drivability- less, Cost per HP- more, why it’s not generally a sought out area. Most look for max gains, min$&.
IMO, it’s all good & you’ll be happy with them, you can be near bone stock & run them, should have 3.73’s or 4.10’s., SCT Tuner w/BAMA is sufficient. Or, your own Tuning, Local Dyno.
Why Cams work better in 05’ & up 4.6’s is the Variable Valve Timing (Phasing) is present, best of both worlds, to a Degree.
1) First off, 5 Speed Car?
2) What’s your ultimate power goal(s) for the Car’s future?
3) Or, is this more of just some solid gains with good Street-ability, & a lumpy idle?
4) Are you in an area where Annual Inspections are tight & it’s going to haunt you if you go with Comp’s Stage 3 Cam’s & other Mods?
5) As researched, it’s not only the Cam’s costs, but if they need the front sprockets, Bolt-on, they’re 350$ a whack, Bolts, Springs, Retainers, Keepers, Gaskets another 400$+. Talking over a Grand for the Cams, installed.
6) If you Shop between Summit & AM, the Costs above are slightly less.
You can run them with basic Bolt-on’s, you’ll lose some bottom end, gain Mid-upper RPM’s. Noted very close P/V clearances with the 0.550 lift, Duration, but the adjustable Cam gears will squeak them by. (02’ GT).
You can install them & build over time to potentiate the gains as $& comes. Don’t feel you need to do it all supporting Mods at once.
Any questions, please- feel free!
-John
Automatic transmission and looking for sound first and formost power comes 2nd sense im plan on keeping this car for a while then eventually in the next 5ish years get a 2014 shelby

Sluggie24

Apr 8, 2017
Put MHS 2.5 NA cams in my sons 03 auto. They sound real good once the idle drops down and gave his engine a nice wide power curve. Didn't need to replace the springs either.

Reactions: 08GT500

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Automatic transmission and looking for sound first and formost power comes 2nd sense im plan on keeping this car for a while then eventually in the next 5ish years get a 2014 shelby
Hi, So are you still thinking that’s what you want to do(Cams)? If so desired, I can show you a couple more lumpy idling Cams that run OE PI Head Springs & without sacrificing your low end Torque. Yield slight gains on a fairly stock motor without delving much into the extra’s, still run ok around traffic with the stock Stall Converter & keep Mileage reasonable.
-John