best gear with a supercharger, 90% street driven?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
i am hoping to get me a nice SC kit for my car sometime soon. will probably get the 8-10 PSI kit, bc i fear if i go with the small 5lb kit i will end up upgrading to the 8lb+ kit anyways.

i currently run a 3.90 gear now and my 1st gear is useless anyways, and with a SC i bet 2nd will be up in smoke also.

i was thinking 3.55s to keep each gear lasting longer.

my rpms fly up fast as it sits N/A and with a SC it will only get faster.
i feel my gear is a little to low now without boost, and with boost it would get worse
need to make each gear last longer.

what gear is generally best with a SC on the street

• Sponsors (?)

3.73s are the prime gear for most cars that are raced.. regardless of power.. daggar and some other folks around here with boost run 3.27s irc... go 3.55s

I am running 3.73's and have never had a problem with the bottle. If anything, most people go to smaller gears because they are running out of gear at the top of the track. My best friends car goes 128 on the rev limiter on 17X9 drag radials, so he went to a M/T 275/60-15. You probably just want to get a stickier tire like a nitto for a daily driver with decent power instead of swapping down to lower gears.. remember your not going to be running around WFO all the time, so the gears you have now are still going to put that pep in your step when your merging into traffic, or just goofin around. I dont know too much, thats Just my .02 cents.

:D

Yeah, you're going to need a higher gear if you want 1st or 2nd gear to be useable on the street. My car is damn near stock and 1st gear is a joke with 3.55s. I can't imagine if it had some power. A lot of the turbo guys run 3.27s, not sure if they would be good for a supercharger car too, but I would go for 3.55s at least.

I run 3:73's with my vortech and it seems about perfect.

It looks like a lot of people are talking about needing a higher gear so they stay in boost or something longer.... pssh.

You always need to think, how long is it gonna take me to GET into boost. At the track you will be running slicks (hopefully) so traction shouldnt be a problem.. dont wast time with an airplane gear so you can "stay in boost" longer.. because it will just take u that much longer to get into boost. Run a shorter gear like 3:73's and ur pretty much in boost instantly and as long as u shift right ur in it for the whole run.