best headers to get

seany425

Aug 18, 2004
lookin to get headers for my 02 stand. i heard they were a real pain to get in, and some people told me they had problems after getting longtubes so i was gonna look at the shortys. so anyone have any ideas or preferences on which are the easiest to install and the best performance wise. I was lookin at the ford racing ones wondering how good they were, the ford gt40-p's let me know what you guys think

• Sponsors (?)

I have the mac long tubes and yes, I had to drop the k-member to get them in. At least I think if your mechanically minded, you'll be glad for the room and the extra 8 bolts are worth it. I can't see how people do it otherwise...Unless you have sticks with spindle joints for arms. I forget the site but there is a dyno chart on the internet(by mac I think) that shows with minor mods the shorties actually produced 8 more hp but the more mods you have the more you need long tubes. My suggestion? Considering the problems I am having(see my thead),think long term and realistacally unless you going supercharged like myself... Get the shorties. I can't say on the install, but having been under there, they are probably just as hard. Put some serious thought into it and if you go long tube and you have more than 50,000 miles consider a clutch job because with the long tubes the transmission won't come out unless the headers do. Hope it helps you decide. :shrug:

ok i am officially going with the shorties cuz my cars an everyday driver and its only going to be lightly modded with probably a chip, headers, new intake plenum and tb, and a few other things down the road. but until im out of school i gotta drive this baby everyday and i think the shorties are my best bet. so lemme know the best shorties price and performance wise and anyone heard about those ford racing gt40-p shorties i was talkin about before?

personally i think shorties are a waste for the money spent and pain in the ass to install. if you're dead set on shorties, go with equal length shorties for extra power gains, however, they're even more of a pain in the ass to install. :shrug: whatever tickles your pickle.

GreekStang85 said:
BBK Longtubes.....i saw a comparison between all the headers and bbk had the most gains

My friend and his 02 GT with a drop had clearance issues with BBK. He even hit something in the highway and caught his headers right away and punctured them :rolleyes:

I also hear that they have install issues. I wouldn't get BBK. Not worth the trouble. I dont know though, i need to decide what to get, since i will be doing this soon as well. I'm leaning towards FULL SLP :nice:

those that say shorties aren't worth anything, do you have any dyno figures to prove this? Not trying to call anyone out, just want to see some proof of which one is better and by how much.

FWIW if you ask this same question on www.camaroz28.com most people will tell you the same thing - shorties aren't worth anything. Next thing you know, the shorty guys are winning the fastest bolt on races and such. People are still convinced they are worthless though :rolleyes:

JBAs have been shown to provide decent gains. I remember seeing dyno charts showing between 5-7hp for JBAs. However, the FRPP headers have been shown on here to gain 0-3hp. I would stay away from them. The only two real choices in shorties are the JBAs and the new BBK Equal Lengths, but there isn't enough people with the latter to get any good data from for horsepower gains.

BTW, Cobra Killer put down some insane 660hp or something like that through JBAs. Evidently, they aren't as big of a cork as some of you think.

nickthegenius said:
JBAs have been shown to provide decent gains. I remember seeing dyno charts showing between 5-7hp for JBAs. However, the FRPP headers have been shown on here to gain 0-3hp. I would stay away from them. The only two real choices in shorties are the JBAs and the new BBK Equal Lengths, but there isn't enough people with the latter to get any good data from for horsepower gains.

BTW, Cobra Killer put down some insane 660hp or something like that through JBAs. Evidently, they aren't as big of a cork as some of you think.

mr. genius i have 2 quesetions for you about the longtube JBA's:
1. are they a pain in the ass to install (assuming u did the job)
2. how much do thoses mofo's go for these days (ceramic coated)??

stang976 said:
mr. genius i have 2 quesetions for you about the longtube JBA's:
1. are they a pain in the ass to install (assuming u did the job)
2. how much do thoses mofo's go for these days (ceramic coated)??

The JBAs are shorties. Also, I'm unsure about the install as I still have Mac longtubes right now. Those, however were a real PITA on the install. My issues with them have been recurring leaks and clearance issues. I will be going with the JBAs or the BBK Equal lengths this winter depending on whether we ever get any dyno info posted here to go by on the BBKs.

Most of the pricing I have seen for the JBAs has been around $450-$550 depending on where you order them from.