Best Heads for stock 302

• Sponsors (?)

I love the internet, most of the advice given by anonymous keyboard cowboys is stupid,
Stock bottom end and gt40 heads are fine, factory did it so it works, the factor here is budget, use and mechanical ability.
So how nice, pretty, fast can you afford and what is your mechanical ability.

If you throw aftermarket heads on a stock 302, it’s not really a stock 302 is it now?

What you do all depends on your budget. A lot of folks throw aftermarket heads, cam and intake and intake on a stock , healthy, 302 bottom end and it survives just fine.

really the deciding factor is your budget

Reactions: 1 user
The intake runners in a stock Mustang intake are small and create a high velocity intake charge, this makes lotsa low end torque.....too much IMHO...getting traction w this intake in 1st and 2nd especially w a 3.08 or more gear is hard. The explorer intakes bigger passages slow down the intake velocity and cost low end torque, but it gives you more upper end HP. A truely useful tradeoff.

Gt40 heads went on my 95 at around the 15k mile mark i think, along with upper and lower intake, cam, a supercharger, and some other bits. Supercharger broke at about 140k, but as far as I know, the bottom end is fine.

I love the internet, most of the advice given by anonymous keyboard cowboys is stupid,
Stock bottom end and gt40 heads are fine, factory did it so it works, the factor here is budget, use and mechanical ability.
So how nice, pretty, fast can you afford and what is your mechanical ability.
I have about 3k to work with and i can do anything mechanical wise

If you throw aftermarket heads on a stock 302, it’s not really a stock 302 is it now?

What you do all depends on your budget. A lot of folks throw aftermarket heads, cam and intake and intake on a stock , healthy, 302 bottom end and it survives just fine.

really the deciding factor is your budget
i have about 3k so i’m not really sure what I could do with it or what I should do with it

now my motor is at 150k so do you think the bottom end would even hold up at that point?
I am the wrong person to ask that question, sorry. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of these other folks here.
that being said, if you are worried if you add heads, I mean, you might as well worry even if you don't add anything.

I am looking for the best heads to run under a complete stock 302, I heard gt40 heads but some people say the bottom end will blow if you don’t do it, I might throw a small cam in there but nothing huge, or should I just resurface the stock heads?
I think that trick flow makes some really good aluminum heads. I think the twisted wedge 170 is the value sweet spot. If you pair them with their stage one cam and a few supporting mods that should net you 300whp.