Best manual transmission

2fast4u770

Jan 16, 2011
Looking for the best manual transmission. I’m building a 408w and the car will be a street/drag car. I know auto is better for the track but I’ll be doing a lot of street driving and we all know a manual is just a lot of fun to drive. I was looking at the T56, TKO and recently heard about the g101a. Or can you build a t56 to handle more power and torque. Any info would be great! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A g101a is definitely a different animal than a tko or t56. They’ll hold loads of power, but I would hesitate to install one into anything I may hit stop and go traffic with.

It’s kind of a toss up between the t56 and tko really. If you’re going to go through all the trouble to swap either one, having that extra gear would be nice. If it’s my money I’d probably go t56. Either one can be built to handle some pretty serious power.

I don’t know if it would be up to a 351 based stroker, but I do really like the a5 I have in my car. It’s really tough to beat the shifting qualities.

A g101a is definitely a different animal than a tko or t56. They’ll hold loads of power, but I would hesitate to install one into anything I may hit stop and go traffic with.

It’s kind of a toss up between the t56 and tko really. If you’re going to go through all the trouble to swap either one, having that extra gear would be nice. If it’s my money I’d probably go t56. Either one can be built to handle some pretty serious power.

I don’t know if it would be up to a 351 based stroker, but I do really like the a5 I have in my car. It’s really tough to beat the shifting qualities.

Why would the 101a suck it traffic, just curious?

And as far as upgrading a t56 to handle more power, what could you do?

Why would the 101a suck it traffic, just curious?

And as far as upgrading a t56 to handle more power, what could you do?

The Gforce trans doesn't have syncros in it, and they are straight cut gears. You will have to drive it a bit differently than most transmissions you are used to. With a clutch assisted version it can be street driven, but IMO there are better options.

A stock T56 magnum will handle more than what a well built, N/A 408w will make. If you plan on spinning it to the moon (7000+) on a regular problems you may have some issues though, which faceplating can fix. This pretty much removes the syncros though, which will make it more of a chore on the street. Always a trade off.

Reactions: 1 user
The G101a is a straight up race transmission. It is possible to drive it on the street, but you have to shift it fast every single time, and the straight cut gears will whine you to death.

The T56 and TKO are both good transmissions. The T56 is a little better, but everything costs substantially more on it.

I think I am just going to break down and get a Lenco ST1200 next time. It's a ton of money, but I wouldn't have to work on it so much.

Kurt

The Gforce trans doesn't have syncros in it, and they are straight cut gears. You will have to drive it a bit differently than most transmissions you are used to. With a clutch assisted version it can be street driven, but IMO there are better options.

A stock T56 magnum will handle more than what a well built, N/A 408w will make. If you plan on spinning it to the moon (7000+) on a regular problems you may have some issues though, which faceplating can fix. This pretty much removes the syncros though, which will make it more of a chore on the street. Always a trade off.
The 408 will be getting a turbo, and even though I may or may not get to 700, it would be nice knowing my trans can hold it either way. What kind of upgrades can you do to a t56