Best Mass Air Meter Kit?

CrazyGT

Aug 21, 2003
Chesterfield,VA
I have been searching around for the best mass air meter kit. I see alot of people have the C&L with the true flow inlet pipe. I like the C&L, but I do not like the cheap cover they give you for the filter. Anyone have some opinions on the kits out there. Also anyone had any experience with the Pro-M kits?

• Sponsors (?)

You really can't do better than Pro-M in my opinion. I have used ported stockers, C&L, and Pro-M. The ported stocker runs the risk of ruining the unit. The C&L is cheap, easy to find on the used market, but I occasionally had to chase down phantom driveability issues. The Pro-M is usually the priciest, but I think you are getting what you pay for. Mine has never given me a problem, and they are MUCH more accepted by the aftermarket than the C&L...

I had a feeling with the prices they listed, That Pro-M was going to be the way to go. I have had to learn the hard way several times that you get what you pay for. I just wanted to hear some experience people have had with them. Thanks

CrazyGt said:
I had a feeling with the prices they listed, That Pro-M was going to be the way to go. I have had to learn the hard way several times that you get what you pay for. I just wanted to hear some experience people have had with them. Thanks

I have the full C&L kit on my car and it runs perfect. no sloppy idle or anything. I personally wouldn't go with Pro-M because I don't like the fact that it doesn't use the factory electronics which is one reason I like C&l. No problems here, just a happy driver with good sotp increases. (Have yet to have car Dyno tested).

not to steal the thread but im looking into getting one aswell, i think that i am going with a pro-m, but im not sure if i should get a 80mm or 85mm. most places list a 80mm for my car, but after a pi headswap mayber i should go bigger, but will an 85 work with my car?

Guys Ive been running C&L maf on my car since 99 when car was 2 months old. Since then I've run n/a, nos, novi 2000 s/c and now back to a radical race n/a setup....ALL with the same meter (only changed calibration tubes)!!
I never had trouble and every dyno test I did with mine showed increase across the curve...also there are alot of C&L haters out there who always cite the fact its cheap must mean its garbage...well reason its cheap as compared to Pro M is b/c it utilizes the stock electronics...it only makes common sense that Pro M is more expensive b/c of electronics. And how is it that everytime MM&FF or 5.0 mag does comparison testing b/t the two maf's the C&L is always equal to or in most cases better than the Pro M. these tests are unbiased mag articles done by magazines themselves. I know its seems like Im giving opinions only, but there is alot of fact behind what I said and if you want to know even more, feel free to call Lee Bender personally at C&L (256)-882-6813 and he will be more than happy to explain in further detail..then afterwards if you want to order give me a holla'!!

just some guy said:
okay, go waste your money
can you explain WHY you are saying that a MAF is such a useless mod? all you've done so far is just make 2 posts in this thread that really just echo an opinion. is there anything that you are in fact basing your opinion off of? i'm not trying to start a flame war, just curious.

(i'm getting one because i eventually plan on getting supercharged)

I'm not trying to start anything here, but if your going to make comments like that, you should at least have something to back it up with. From what I've seen and heard the majority of people have replaced theres. Are you trying to say that all these people don't know what the he** there doing?

Ok my .02 on the subject:

I have an 85mm C&L on my 02 GT it was running pig rich from ford and really leaned my tune out and I'm sure I gained 5RWHP or so. At the time before I knew any better I thought it was a great Mod.

Now the problem as I've learned a few things. I had my Mach 1 in for a baseline dyno and thought I'd put on the 85mm C&L on with the Mach's electronics my last pull since I had it.

The problem was my Mach had a very good tune from Ford and was running an A/F of 13 across the RPM range. The Mach also uses an 80mm MAF and I thought it would maybe lean the car out to 13.5 to 13.8....WRONG! :notnice: It leaned it out to a dangerous A/F of 15! Although I didn't notice any detanation it really freaked me out.

The way I'm leaning now is the MAF is really a useless mod, it's big enough. If your lucky enough to be running rich it will help but it's a big shot in the dark and could be bad for the life of your engine.

If I were to do it over I'd just buy a tuner like the Preditor to modify my A/F curves, be able to correct for gear/tire sizes, troubleshoot codes on my car,
adjust timing, remove the rev limiter, and the govern for top speed. Of course you'll probally be out $50 to $100 dollars more and some dyno time but I'd sure think about it.JMO

edit:

BTW with the 85mm the Mach gained a massive 1/2RWHP and 1RWTQ :nonono:

One more thing I noticed......

If I put my finger in the tail pipe it would come out black before the C&L. After I install it I noticed it really cleaned the tailpipe up. That would be one way to judge if your running rich.

My Mach never had the build up, so if your GT doesn't have black buildup in the tailpipe I sure wouldn't put on a bigger MAF to lean the car out.JMO

Ive had my Stang for three years now and one of the first things I did was gut the mass air meter. By that I cut everything out of the stocker one. Ive never had any problems with it. After that I did put the full Densecharger in and a 70 mm TB and then I did the Darkhorse mod after that. Still Ive had no idle issues or anything. I wish I knew someone that would have done dyno pulls after each change but then don't we all. Just my .02
Don

Here is the dyno runs with a K&N vs the C&L/K&N combo. Hope it helps.....

Attachments

• Machdyno.JPG
    Machdyno.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 231