Best mods for a stock engine...

Trefty

Aug 13, 2004
What are the best mods for a bone stock '91 5.0 with AOD? I know that changing the gears are a popular choice, but I'm planning on dropping in a T5 at some point, so I don't think I'll bother with the gears until then. What are the most effcient mods in terms of cost and performance for a stock 5.0? Will longtube headers be able to clear the automatic transmission? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Still should put gears in regardless of what transmission you plan on running. If you want to go with a T-5 in the future, I'd go for 3.73s. I wouldn't worry about going with longtubes if you're staying stock with the motor.

You can bump the timing for free, and remove the air silencer if it's still installed. Good set of Subframes is always a good idea.

You can save a little weight off the front end by removing all your smog crap too. O/R pipes don't need it.

And although it won't really add power, a 3G alternator upgrade is something good to do which is still pretty cheap.

it really depends on your spending budget.
gears are by far the best choice. a nice headers/off road h pipe and cat-back system is a definate improvement.
one my favorites is pullies aswell.... great mod for like $55-60.

N8Miller said:
it really depends on your spending budget.

My budget is pretty tight for the time being, but I plan to do more engine work in the future.

Will long tube's fit with the automatic transmission? What's the difference between long and shorty's?

Long tubes will fit the auto tranny, but they are different headers then the 5spd headers. Id wait till you get the t-5 to get headers. I would DEFINATLY put the gears in, like said regardless of what tranny you have, gears are a must, atleast 3.73. AFter that, id do pullies, and an intake, or gt40 heads. But gears and going t-5 would be at the top of my list above all.

Ok, I'm thinking gears may be what I do first, 3.73 as that is what I want when I get a new tranny in. Only problem is I don't know when I'll be doing that, it might be a year or more. Maybe I'll just go with shorty headers, I had them on my last Stang and I liked them.

yes get shorty headers. Do gears you will love 3.73's. An Off road h-pipe if you don't need to pass smog test. An electric fan will save you some ponies. Under drive pullies. A windage tray in your oil pan is a good idea. upgrade the exhaust from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2.

I would not recommend running headers on a stock motor with stock heads.:nono: The stock headers will make more power and torque than aftermarket ones until you get some better flowing heads. (I have dyno'ed experience)

It will only make your car slower and you will loose torque. :notnice:

I would do the following in this order:

1) Gears
2) Underdrive pulleys
3) O/R X-Pipe
4) Electric fan and 130 amp alt.
5) 80mm Pro-M
6) Aftermarket Intake
7) Heads

04sleeper said:
I would do the following in this (little different) order:

1) Gears
2) Intake: ported stock lower if no head change for years, stock Cobra/Explorer/Performer if head change anticipated
3) Underdrive pulleys
4) O/R X-Pipe
5) 80mm Pro-M
6) Electric fan and 130 amp alt.
7) Heads

The stock intake flows ~140cfm at best because of the lower intake restriction on top of the ~160cfm stock E7 heads.

I'm not planning on changing the heads for probably a couple years so what is a good intake to get that is not to expensive? Or is just keeping the stock upper and porting the lower a good idea?

Also, what is the difference between an H and X pipe? I will definitely be going no cats, so that's not an issue. I'm looking for a deeper tone opposed to a higher pitched one. Thanks.

I am a fan of the cobra intakes. i have seen them go for anywhere from $200-275 used. I would do that, a set of underdrives ($55), and a full exhauset.

the X pipe will produce a different tone with the way it is made vs the H, and give ya like 4 more HP.