Best paint for plastic bumpers?

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
The yellow undercoat of the rear bumper on my LX is starting to show through. Anyone have a good suggestion (short of a full car repaint) for preparation and paint to fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

When I got my car painted, I told them "Do not touch the bumpers, I'll do them". I did that for a few reasons. The big one is to make it easy for my to fix any scratches the the Mass-hole drivers put on my car. BTW: I never park my Stang near other cars. So far, I have only two very small scratches, both my fault. :p

I used the following:
Sandpaper
Eastwood Adhesion Promoter 14.75oz. Aerosol Item #52366 Z
Eastwood Flexible Primer Surfacer Aerosol Gray Item #50022 Z

Eastwood Links:
Adhesion Promoter 16oz.
Flexible Primer Surfacer Aerosol Gray

Here you can see how my bumpers turned out: (I think they turned out very nicely :))
Mustang 86 - Mach1 Springs
BTW: The "white" you see from the bumpers in some pictures is the reflection of the sun. In some pictures, you can see that the paint is uniform.

FYI:

Below, you can see a close up of the front bumper, and one of the two small scratches (near the top corner of the turn signal).
And, yes, that SUPER MEGA AWESOME hood fitment is 100% from the factory, neither the hood nor fender where ever removed (when that picture was taken).

Mustang-86-Mach1spings-10-2007Pic_15.jpg

Duplicolor makes a Bumper Coating product that I assume has a flex agent in it, I haven't actually used it yet. I'm holding a can here in my hand that is for black (as is my car, since black is black). I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a show car, but mine is not a show car.:rlaugh:

I have used the regular Duplicolor in a spray can on my bumpers with okay results, until I can really have the old gal fully repainted...