Best source for exhaust pipes

66 BLAKE 96

Native Texican
Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Cowtown
While I'm at the whole 5.0/T-5 swap, I'm going to update my pitiful exhaust. (currently true dual, 2", rusty) I think I've narrowed down the particulars with Flowtech long tubes and Magnaflow mufflers. What I need is a good source for affordable H-pipe, mid pipes, and over-the-axle pipes. I figure I'll be fine with 2.5". Mandrel bends would be nice, but likely out of my price range. Aluminized tubing would be prefferable, because this'll be the setup for a loooong time to come, and I don't want my exhaust looking like the rust factory that is on there now.

I'd prefer to buy this stuff pre-bent, as I've had issues before with a muffler shop-built system not fitting that well. (Though I don't think that cloud of pot smoke in that shop was helping their measuring/welding abilities much) I've gone through my handy dandy NPD catalog, but I don't think any of their numerous options is what I need.

Any ideas on where to get this stuff? Prices would be even better. :nice:

Thanks y'all.

• Sponsors (?)

Blake,

You may want to check out Joe's muffler in Addison. He did my exhaust and it came out really well. I supplied him with the Dr. Gas X junction and Borla mufflers and he built a 2.5 mandrel bent system over the axle and through the GT valence. Fit was excellent and haven't experienced a rattle yet.

I agree with Turbo4 that you should find a good shop local to you and have them do it.

You should be able to get the exhaust completed for much less than the parts alone would cost you if you buy something prefabricated.

Well that's some good advice that I didn't think I'd hear. Maybe I need to try a shop that isn't stoned, lol.

Using round numbers, what do you guys think I'd end up paying for the job if I brought them an X-junction, mufflers and tips, and let them bend and hook up the rest?

Thanks for your help so far. :)

2.5" mandrel bent aluminized pipe if you already have the headers installed and provide the mufflers would probably be between $200 and $300. Just a guess as its been a long time since my last custom job. Get an estimate and then inquire how much more stainless steel pipe would be. It's very expensive but lasts forever and looks good.

mustangdave said:
2.5" mandrel bent aluminized pipe if you already have the headers installed and provide the mufflers would probably be between $200 and $300. Just a guess as its been a long time since my last custom job. Get an estimate and then inquire how much more stainless steel pipe would be. It's very expensive but lasts forever and looks good.

Oooh, now that's a price I can deal with. :nice:

The 'CASH' price for my job was $500, but he also welded on some subframes for me. I checked the price for stainless and it was waaay out of my price range so I just got my stuff ceramic coated.

order 2.5" mandrel bent tailpies from flowmaster for $99, then let the muffler guy weld 'em up. They'll smile when they see pre-made tailpipes that fit, plus they'll knock alot more than $99 off of their price to fab the rest of the system. Tailpipes for mustangs are not easy to make.....

I had my whole setup done for 150 bucks. I supplied them with headers already on them(gosh it was loud driving down the freeway at 70 for a half hour), and a set of dynomax ultra flows. The did a nice job all the way out the back. The also welded in a H pipe for 20 bucks.

Blake,
another ballpark figure for you. i had 2.5" aluminized pipes, 2 Flowmaster Delta 40's, chrome exhaust tips, an H pipe section and mandrel bends over the axle for 300 bucks.
I liked them so much, I went back there to get my o2 sensors welded into my headers, and they did that for 20.
the country is scattered with good exhaust shops, just got to have an ear out for one.

I think some places have a definite misunderstanding of the word mandrel.....if you get an exhaust system fabbed up at a shop for $150-200, it will not have mandrel bends. The pipes will be crimped or crushed on the bends(measure it if you don't believe me), the true mandrel bent pipes maintain a constant diameter thru bends. Very few exhaust shops have the equipment to do a true mandrel bend, if they do have the equipment, you will be paying a premium price for them to use it. Moral of the story-the flowmaster tailpipe price and quality cannot be beat by a private shop. The best setup performance and dollar wise is to buy your own muffs, buy the flowmaster tails, take the muffs and tails to a shop. Have the shop fab up the piping from the headers to the muffs(its really straight and simple, an untrained monkey could it), then have them weld on the muffs and hang the nice tailpipes. Figure $75-100 for the shop fabbed pipes and labor, $90 for a pair of 2 chambers, $100 for the tails. Best setup you can get for around $300......

GT2K said:
I think there is a wide range of "nice exhaust" definitions ... No way a MANDREL setup is done neatly for $150 - $200 unless you are supplying the Flowmaster tails...

I never said mine was mandrel bent, i was just staiting they did a nice job on the exaust. They tried to keep as many bends out of it as possible, and the onse they did have to do they tried to keep them as long as possible so they wernt crimpt to much. None of them are actualy crimped but the insed corner of the bends just shrinks a little bit. I would be suprized of they got smaller than 2.25 from 2.5" exaust on the corners.

302 coupe said:
I think some places have a definite misunderstanding of the word mandrel.....if you get an exhaust system fabbed up at a shop for $150-200, it will not have mandrel bends. The pipes will be crimped or crushed on the bends(measure it if you don't believe me), the true mandrel bent pipes maintain a constant diameter thru bends. Very few exhaust shops have the equipment to do a true mandrel bend, if they do have the equipment, you will be paying a premium price for them to use it. Moral of the story-the flowmaster tailpipe price and quality cannot be beat by a private shop. The best setup performance and dollar wise is to buy your own muffs, buy the flowmaster tails, take the muffs and tails to a shop. Have the shop fab up the piping from the headers to the muffs(its really straight and simple, an untrained monkey could it), then have them weld on the muffs and hang the nice tailpipes. Figure $75-100 for the shop fabbed pipes and labor, $90 for a pair of 2 chambers, $100 for the tails. Best setup you can get for around $300......
well, I can't tell you if mine is a true 'mandrel' bend or not. But there are no crimped or crushed pipes anywhere near the axle.

Well I am far from the muffler and exhaust stage, first I need an engine...hehe, but I would like some great sounding mufflers, the kind that purrrrrrr and then rore like a man chasing a women... hahaha

sorry.....got carried away. :p