Best Tune for Stock 01 Mustang GT 4.6?

Stang338

Aug 30, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
In the future I'll be doing a few bolt ons, but for now, I'm just thinking?

I looked into Bama X4/SF4 and VMP, and I know Bama offers free tunes for life (if ordered on american muscle) but I really don't want to pay like $60 a month for a tuning membership or whatever for other tuner brands. I know dyno tuning is the best way to go but I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I don't know of any reputable muscle tuners around.

What are your thoughts on these tuners? Even on a stock vehicle, what would be the best choice? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Stang,
I would go with the SCT X4. I own the previous version. You don't have to pay for a membership to get free tunes. Just call them and they will help you. I've had my SCT for 7 years and they still help me out when I call. BTW when you get a custom tune they will need a tuner to go along with the tune. That's why I bought mine. And a word of advice. Buy both the tuner and the maf sensor together from SCT. The mustangs have issues if you don't pair the SCT tuner with a SCT maf sensor. I had weird idle issues and drivability issues all because my ford performance maf sensor and SCT tuner were having issues paired together. I had to throw away my ford performance maf sensor and buy a SCT maf sensor to correct the issue.

What mods do you have currently and what do you plan on doing to it. Whats the make and model?

Reactions: 1 user
Stang,
I would go with the SCT X4. I own the previous version. You don't have to pay for a membership to get free tunes. Just call them and they will help you. I've had my SCT for 7 years and they still help me out when I call. BTW when you get a custom tune they will need a tuner to go along with the tune. That's why I bought mine. And a word of advice. Buy both the tuner and the maf sensor together from SCT. The mustangs have issues if you don't pair the SCT tuner with a SCT maf sensor. I had weird idle issues and drivability issues all because my ford performance maf sensor and SCT tuner were having issues paired together. I had to throw away my ford performance maf sensor and buy a SCT maf sensor to correct the issue.

What mods do you have currently and what do you plan on doing to it. Whats the make and model?

My car is stock right now, it's a 2001 ford mustang gt 4.6 2v. Only thing I've done to it is flowmaster mufflers (but that's not for performance, I know) and I really only plan to do slight bolt on mods, such as a BBK 70mm Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, MAYBE an Airraid MXP Series Cold Air Intake w/Synthaflow Oiled Filter, and MAYBE a Ford Performance Performance Improvement Intake Manifold (if my OEM one decides to crap out on me at some point).... other than that, I really wouldn't be doing much since I'm going for just a slighter punch from stock feel, I'm also going for longevitiy so forced induction wouldn't be appropriate in my case. And of course a tuner, but wait, the Bama X4 or SCT X4 or is it the same thing? Just to make sure.. I'll be buying all this on americanmuscle most likely.

My car is stock right now, it's a 2001 ford mustang gt 4.6 2v. Only thing I've done to it is flowmaster mufflers (but that's not for performance, I know) and I really only plan to do slight bolt on mods, such as a BBK 70mm Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, MAYBE an Airraid MXP Series Cold Air Intake w/Synthaflow Oiled Filter, and MAYBE a Ford Performance Performance Improvement Intake Manifold (if my OEM one decides to crap out on me at some point).... other than that, I really wouldn't be doing much since I'm going for just a slighter punch from stock feel, I'm also going for longevitiy so forced induction wouldn't be appropriate in my case. And of course a tuner, but wait, the Bama X4 or SCT X4 or is it the same thing? Just to make sure.. I'll be buying all this on americanmuscle most likely.

If you want it to have some pep I would go with the below mods if your on a budget
BBK 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum
Cold Air Intake
SCT X4 Tuner with the SCT 90 MAF Sensor
4.10 Gears
If I priced all those out I'd say around $1500 for everything.

If you do those you will noticed a huge difference in acceleration. I'm all bolt on's Naturally Aspirated pushing 300 to rear wheels. 15 grand later I can say I should have went forced induction lol. But there is not another stang that sounds like mine. I get so many compliments from people driving 700 horsepower cars that are blown away by how my car sounds and how quick it is. If you have any questions let me know I've done most of all mods you can do for my 4.6 99 mustang gt aside from turbo or supercharging it. A lot of learning along the way.

If you want it to have some pep I would go with the below mods if your on a budget
BBK 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum
Cold Air Intake
SCT X4 Tuner with the SCT 90 MAF Sensor
4.10 Gears
If I priced all those out I'd say around $1500 for everything.

If you do those you will noticed a huge difference in acceleration. I'm all bolt on's Naturally Aspirated pushing 300 to rear wheels. 15 grand later I can say I should have went forced induction lol. But there is not another stang that sounds like mine. I get so many compliments from people driving 700 horsepower cars that are blown away by how my car sounds and how quick it is. If you have any questions let me know I've done most of all mods you can do for my 4.6 99 mustang gt aside from turbo or supercharging it. A lot of learning along the way.
TrickFlow .550 (stage one) cams, 38cc twisted wedge heads, 70mm Trick Flow TB and70mm BBK CAI... LAGS with no tune. Looking at the 7015 SCT X4??? With a custom tune, of course. Screw the pre-loaded bs. Did my "research" the best I could. I hope. Lol any advise on proceeding???

You definitely need a tune! Are you on stock injectors and stock fuel pump? You better take it easy on your car until you get a tune. If its running really lean you can damage your gaskets, like I did. The stock piston rings can only handle about 350 horsepower before they start to go. Im currently in the process of buying a block with all forged internals because I built the top end like your doing and the motor couldn't handle it. I would suggest getting bigger injectors. Your increasing the amount of air going into the combustion chamber by adding a cam and those heads. Bigger fuel Injectors are needed. I run 46lb injectors on mine and use about 65% injector duty cycle. When you buy injectors only stick with ford performance and only use OEM Coils. Don't use any aftermarket coils or injectors. Ive been there done that twice and regretted it.

Reactions: 1 user