best UCA length?

autumn_again

Oct 2, 2007
Hamilton, NJ
i have my Steeda adjustable UCA ready to install. what is the best length to put it to? i think steeda says 8.34 for performance, but i want to make sure cause i don't wanna install it and get worse wheel hop. my cars stock ride height.

• Sponsors (?)

it's a hard question to answer...

essentially you are asking what the
pinion angle should be, with a two
piece drive shaft, aftermarket upper
and lower control arms.

i would probably start by measuring the
current pinion angle, install the UCA, then
set the pinion angle to match.

i'm interested in what others have to say
because i also, just installed the steeda
adjustable UCA.

the only reason i ask, is because steedas directions say to do a .10th shorter then factory for performance. i'm not too worried about the car handling like a lincoln, i'd rather fix the wheel hop. tomorrow if i dont have a different answer i'll just go with the steedas 8.34 or whatever it is.

sorry i couldn't give a definite answer, i
just installed a one piece drive shaft along
with the UCA and my setup is different.

you can't go wrong with the steeda
starting point.

just installed it, did the steeda recommendation of 8.36"

my god. i didn't think that out too well before i placed the jack stands. and the exhaust was a pain in the ass.

put the jack stands on the lca mounts. so when i broke the bolts loose the rear is just dropping forward in my way.so i had a jack under there on the pumpkin. couldn't get anything anywhere. + all mine and my dads tools are over my brothers house while we're building his 94 gt.

took it for a test run, and laid rubber down all the way thru second, no hop. gunna test more tonight, gotta head to work.

You can't set it to a specific length. Every car will be different, especially depending upon your suspension and driveshaft setup.

You need to get yourself a magnetic angle finder. Then you need to check your pinion angle. With stock driveshaft, you should be around -2*. For a one piece driveshaft, just a bit more.

This video will show you how to do it.
How to Change Pinion Angle on your S197 Mustang with BMR - Stang TV Forums