Best Under-the-carpet Heat Reducer

plantmeister

Dec 17, 2016
FL
I'm back after a long standoff with the mustang...I'm almost confident enough to drive it again.

Anyway, I need opinions!

I can't take the heat coming up from my floorboard anymore. The dude who sold me this recarpeted it with no padding, so it radiates like the gates of hell.

Please give me your opinions on the best brand of heat shield, padding, whatever that I need to install under my carpet. I'll be ordering it in the next day or so.

Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure it's coming up through the carpet and not the center console, like if the inner shift boot were missing?

I assumed it was from the carpet because there's no padding or anything under the carpet.

However, I have heard the inner shift boot mentioned before. Can you explain to me how to check if that's missing? I'm not entirely sure what it looks like...

Pull the shifter trim up and look under it where the shifter arm goes down through the floor into the trans tunnel. There should be a second, rubber boot around it.

This is an SN95, but it's the same part. Basically it's a second shift boot under the one you see
525085?$enlarged810x608$.jpg

Make sure it's securely bolted in place, with no tears. If you can see the ground, then you are missing one and it allows heat and fumes to flood the passenger compartment

Pull the shifter trim up and look under it where the shifter arm goes down through the floor into the trans tunnel. There should be a second, rubber boot around it.

This is an SN95, but it's the same part. Basically it's a second shift boot under the one you see

Make sure it's securely bolted in place, with no tears. If you can see the ground, then you are missing one and it allows heat and fumes to flood the passenger compartment

Oh, great visual! Thanks! Shouldn't be too hard to look through since the guy took the shifter bezel off the car, along with lots of other interior parts before he sold it to me

Dumb question; this will still be present even if I have an automatic, or will it maybe look a little different?

Oh, great visual! Thanks! Shouldn't be too hard to look through since the guy took the shifter bezel off the car, along with lots of other interior parts before he sold it to me

Dumb question; this will still be present even if I have an automatic, or will it maybe look a little different?

I feel where your coming from. Mine has padding under the carpet and my feet would still get hot. After a 30 min drive I measured temps at 105*+ near my gas pedal and steering shaft. The exhaust is within inches of this area. I pulled the carpet up and installed knock-off Dynomat sound deadener (butyl) and then a foam style insulation over top of that. I did this for the floor boards front and back and the trans tunnel. It made a big difference in the amount of heat in the floor board and road noise.
Here are links for the product.
Amazon product ASIN B012B5EMGOView: https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B012B5EMGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490722535&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=sound+deadening&psc=1
Amazon product ASIN B01KAD1XESView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KAD1XES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From what I could tell, the shifter definitely has the plate. That wasn't touched because previous owner had a stick 5.0 and didn't need that part haha.
As for the products, thanks for the suggestion! I need anything to get rid of that heat! I live in a place of perpetual summer and I don't have AC. I need all the relief I can get!