Engine Best Way To Flush Coolant & Need Help Identifying My Water Pump Hose

chapters707

Jul 13, 2014
Hello again everyone. I am in the final stages of preparing to drop a new (to me) 4.6 engine into my 96 GT. I was getting ready to install my new dorman intake manifold with the aluminum coolant crossover and my manual recommended changing the water pump hose that runs underneath the intake manifold at the same time. It looked to be corroding and there were stains in the "valley" which make me think replacing it is a good idea.

I'm not sure what car this engine came out of, it was produced in 1999, has npi heads and the block and heads seem to be identical to those that came out of my 96. However the coolant hose that I mentioned is just a solid metal tube that looks different from the one that was on my mustang. I'm not sure how to remove it, I have already removed the water pump for replacement and removed a couple of bolts holding the hose bracket to the rear of my block. Should I just pry this out of the block with a screwdriver or something without damaging it?

Does anyone know what model cars used a coolant line like I described or the part # for this hose? The only part number I found was on the bracket and I think all that came up when i googled it was alternator brackets?? Also the coolant/water left in the lines was orange so I think there is rusty water still in the block. Can I use distilled water and a shop vac to clear some of this out before I drop it in? I will attach a photo of the heater line below. Any insight is appreciated as always!

• Sponsors (?)

This is the hose that was originally on my mustang:
IMG_20161109_162327.jpg

This is the one on the unknown engine:
IMG_20161109_162258.jpg

Does anyone know what model cars used a coolant line like I described or the part # for this hose?
How about a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car? All used Non-PI Romeo 4.6's during the 1999 model year.

However the coolant hose that I mentioned is just a solid metal tube that looks different from the one that was on my mustang. I'm not sure how to remove it, I have already removed the water pump for replacement and removed a couple of bolts holding the hose bracket to the rear of my block. Should I just pry this out of the block with a screwdriver or something without damaging it?
IMO you may be trying to "over think" this.

Your original 96 came with the style heater return that uses a barbed fitting. Do NOT attempt to clamp a barbed hose onto an O-ring style nipple. It will not hold without the barbs.

The version of the heater return line that is a solid metal tube is superior to the version that came in the original 96. The tube is sealed with common O-rings. IMO these O-rings should be replaced as any leak would require the manifold to be removed. To remove simply pull the line off of the nipple. The O-rings should be visible on the water pump nipple.

To replace the heater hose to the firewall, use the heater hose from a 2001 model year Mustang.

Alternatively you could remove the barbed fitting from the 96 block and transfer to the new block. It's just a press fit. When I had to solve this problem during my motor swap, I choose the O-ring version of the part and used the parts from a 2001 Mustang as an example to follow.

Last edited:
Thanks wmburns your help is always appreciated! Is this the one I'm looking for? It says it's for 99-04 mustangs but looks like it may not fit...
lrs-18402a_3469.jpg

When I searched for grand Marquis crown Vic and town car heater hoses this one came up. It looks to be the same shape but the bracket looks a little different. I think it will work though.
main.JPG

I'll have to go actually look at the car again to decide because I'm just going off the photos I have in my phone now lol. Oh by the way what size o rings do I need for the nipple? Would you recommend i just buy a new nipple? Lmr sells it for 15$. Thanks again for all your help.

The heater return hose is NOT the same from 1999-2004. The later model years have a quick disconnect hose fitting between the firewall and the motor. You want the version that has a barbed fitting on the firewall end.

How about just taking it apart and looking at the O-rings?

Or go to Ford and have the Parts guy look it up. Expect to pay a little more for an O-ring from Ford.

When I did the Windsor to Romeo swap in my 2000, I used a Romeo from a 2003 Grand Marguis. Went to Ford and bought a heater return line from a 2001 which worked perfect. Also bought (and paid the high price) for the O-rings from Ford.

Okay gotcha. I guess the best way to go about this is to just pull the hose out so I can fully see what I'm working with and find something equivalent. At least now I know I can just pull it out without breaking it. I hate to pay the ford prices for anything but if I feel thats the only way to get a direct replacement I will bite the bullet I guess. Better than pulling all this apart later on to replace a leaky hose once it's in the car haha. If you happen to have a link to the 2001 heater hose or part # I would appreciate it. All that came up from my search was the 99-04 one that I posted above. Either way I think I can figure it out once I have the hose off. Now I just need to wait for a day off...Thanks again for chiming in!!