Better shifting 5 speed tranny??

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
I sat in a black jack roush today and the shifting on the tranny was awesome, I would love to have a tranny with the closeness like that one had. Does any company make a drop in replacement for the T5 that would have the gears real close.

• Sponsors (?)

What year Roush? If it's an 05-later, they use a remote style shifter that is not the same as what's on your T-5.

My MGW had some pretty damn short throws...not sure what any shorter would feel like.

Whatever year model that they came out with the Black Jack package, you would leave your arm almost still and go thru all the gears with only moving your hand and wrist

I think those are the 05+ ones... And Ford had some great shifters in the 05+ special models! For a stock shifter, the GT500 feels great, and real solid. I see you've got an MGW... Have you tried adjusting your shift stops to make it a shorter throw? Mine's pretty short on mine. Not much of a 'wrist movement' to shift, but I can shift with a finger or two if I really want to.

Which handle do you have on your MGW?? The orange handle?

If so, see if you can track down one of their older blue handles. They are a lot shorter than the orange handles and will def shorten up your throws.

I wouldn't adjust the shift stops. If you do that, you'll cause the synchro's and gears to only be partially engaged and that's how you mess up the dog teeth and start grinding gears.

The 05+ cars just have a shorter throw. Not to mention a much better shifter positiom!
I actually like the way our shifters are mounted on the SN95 cars! My mom's is great though in her 05 v6. I can rest my whole arm on the center console, and shift with ease through the gears.

I wouldn't mind picking up one of the older blue handles! I picked up my MGW when they started making only orange ones with them. :shrug:

I wouldn't adjust the shift stops. If you do that, you'll cause the synchro's and gears to only be partially engaged and that's how you mess up the dog teeth and start grinding gears.

:shrug: The MGW doesn't come with the shift stops adjusted already. You have to do it yourself by the instructions provided. I know tranny shops will do it with a feeler gauge or something, but I just followed MGWs directions for adjusting them. If i remember correctly, MGW tells you to back all of the stops out all of the way so they make no contact with the shifter handle. Then put the handle in first gear and carefully adjust the stop so it contacts the handle. Once it makes contact with the handle, back it off until you can just slide a piece of paper between the stop and the handle in gear. Repeat four more times.

I think those are the 05+ ones... And Ford had some great shifters in the 05+ special models! For a stock shifter, the GT500 feels great, and real solid. I see you've got an MGW... Have you tried adjusting your shift stops to make it a shorter throw? Mine's pretty short on mine. Not much of a 'wrist movement' to shift, but I can shift with a finger or two if I really want to.

The stops aren't there to make your shifts shorter. They're there to protect your shift fork/transmission when slamming through the gears....so you don't "overshift"...Having the stops out too far is just as bad as not having them at all...:nice:

if you have adjustable stops then use them....I "doubt" there is a perfect preset for all cars, therefore, I "doubt" that anybody should just assume that their aftermarket shifter is adjusted correctly without checking.

Mustang 5l5 - Please explain your statement about only having the synchros halfway engaged. So long as you adjust the stops correctly this wouldn't happen...

1991notchbacklx- you mention repeating the process all 5 times....does your mgw shifter have a stop for every single gear? My pro5.0 only has two stops, one for up shifting and one for down. I base my adjustment on 1st or third for forward and 2nd and 4th for back. Reason for this is because who slams 5th gear or reverse anyway.

That's my opinion

Drew

:shrug: The MGW doesn't come with the shift stops adjusted already. You have to do it yourself by the instructions provided. I know tranny shops will do it with a feeler gauge or something, but I just followed MGWs directions for adjusting them. If i remember correctly, MGW tells you to back all of the stops out all of the way so they make no contact with the shifter handle. Then put the handle in first gear and carefully adjust the stop so it contacts the handle. Once it makes contact with the handle, back it off until you can just slide a piece of paper between the stop and the handle in gear. Repeat four more times.

That's the correct way to do it. :nice:

What i got from that post was to set the stops closer in so the handle actually contacts the stops when you shift....in turn shortening the throws. This is bad and can damage the trans. When the handle contacts a stop, the shift fork is prevented from traveling it's full distance and the synchro slider may not be completely engaged with the gear. If they are not fully engaged, you can pop out of gear, bend shift forks, or cause other damage.

if you have adjustable stops then use them....I "doubt" there is a perfect preset for all cars, therefore, I "doubt" that anybody should just assume that their aftermarket shifter is adjusted correctly without checking.

Mustang 5l5 - Please explain your statement about only having the synchros halfway engaged. So long as you adjust the stops correctly this wouldn't happen...

1991notchbacklx- you mention repeating the process all 5 times....does your mgw shifter have a stop for every single gear? My pro5.0 only has two stops, one for up shifting and one for down. I base my adjustment on 1st or third for forward and 2nd and 4th for back. Reason for this is because who slams 5th gear or reverse anyway.

That's my opinion

Drew

Yeah you've got it right the way yours is adjusted, Drew. I check all 5 gears for proper contact with the stop as a safety precaution, to avoid any potential damage and to prevent popping out of gear, etc. My MGW only has two stops, as seen here:

t-45.jpg

I also forgot to mention, for anyone attepting to set these stops: make sure the car is OFF and sitting on a level surface before attempting. Don't sue me. The end. :D