I may regret asking this here, but I'm going to do it any way.
In my 68 Cougar I have a 289. When I was going to school at BSU for the auto tech program, I decided that this was going to be my 'project car for school'.
So, did the brakes, rebuilt the trans, and built the motor. It's a .030 over 289 with .010 over and under on the rods and mains. I installed the RPM performer cam, .496/.520 lift, 238-248 duration. I learned a lot about push rod length, parts pushers, machine shop folks, and the usual birthing pains of the first performance motor build.
I also used the new Edelbrock dual quad set up. Two ea. 500 cfm carbs with a progressive linkage. I had the linkage set up as non progressive, I didn't like it.
So, here's my question: Even though it "looks like" 1000 cfm, do you think there is a gain in perfomance to be had by switching to a pair of 650's? The set up only runs primarily on the rear carb.
My understanding is that under WOT, the car may only draw 750 cfm between the two carbs.
A single 500 cfm is too small for my 289, and it runs primarily on exactly that.
If I went to the 650's, I Think it would be better streetability, until I stick my foot in it, and then it would be ludicrous speed out of that poor 289......
What do you think, and why?
In my 68 Cougar I have a 289. When I was going to school at BSU for the auto tech program, I decided that this was going to be my 'project car for school'.
So, did the brakes, rebuilt the trans, and built the motor. It's a .030 over 289 with .010 over and under on the rods and mains. I installed the RPM performer cam, .496/.520 lift, 238-248 duration. I learned a lot about push rod length, parts pushers, machine shop folks, and the usual birthing pains of the first performance motor build.
I also used the new Edelbrock dual quad set up. Two ea. 500 cfm carbs with a progressive linkage. I had the linkage set up as non progressive, I didn't like it.
So, here's my question: Even though it "looks like" 1000 cfm, do you think there is a gain in perfomance to be had by switching to a pair of 650's? The set up only runs primarily on the rear carb.
My understanding is that under WOT, the car may only draw 750 cfm between the two carbs.
A single 500 cfm is too small for my 289, and it runs primarily on exactly that.
If I went to the 650's, I Think it would be better streetability, until I stick my foot in it, and then it would be ludicrous speed out of that poor 289......
What do you think, and why?
My 331's the same way, although I've never throttled it with a four bbl carb. Now when I destroked the 427 back to a 427 and replaced the 600's with 750's (not by choice, but by necessity) It did loose power with the bigger carbs. It just couldn't fully use the twin 750's.