biggest 2v

nitrous4.6l

Jul 7, 2010
What is the largest displacement that can be achieved in a 2v without changing the whole engine out? I know you can cram a carbed 351 in a mustang, but is there a way to make a huge displacement 2v or 3v and have it work with the computer, injection and the rest as well as mate to a t56. Is it worth it? Trying to entertain options as I am looking to build a new motor for street/strip.

• Sponsors (?)

5L is about the biggest you're going to get out of a 4.6 core with boring and stroking. If you go to a 5.4L case you can get slightly more still but I don't know if there's sense in stroking a 5.4 given its already longish-stroke.

Of course you could always make the engine think it's bigger than it is with a blower...

5.3L for the short deck (4.6) mod motor (3.700 bore x 3.75 stroke)
5.8L for the long deck (5.4) mod motor (3.700 bore - darton sleeved)

Either of these options are going to cost big bucks ($5000.00 or more).
I've got $7500 into my 5.3L 3V short block, but I have high end rods, and custom pistons.
Other options for short deck mod motors are a 5.0L (3.700 big bore), or a 5.0L (3.75 stroker) motor.

The 5.0 stroker will be the least expensive. The big bore options require a Ford Racing Boss 5.0 mod motor block (about 1800.00 for the block)

Windsors or Clevelands are a good swap (up to 427 ci). A 460 based big block can also be crammed in there as well and you can go 514 or bigger on these.

I've heard the modular 4.6 can be stroked to somewhere in the 320 ci range but that is with a crazy large bore and it is not recommended. 5.1 is probably the largest you could safely and reliably go on a 4.6. There is a 6.2 stroker kit for the modular 5.4 but the kit costs like 2,000 dollars so it probably isn't worth it. .

You can get the FRPP Boss 5.0 modular block for as little as $850 from Livernois performance. These blocks are good as is to 1600 HP and can easily be modified for more. With a set of 3.70" notched pistons and prepped heads/cams/intake/exhaust , a setup could make ridiculous power. Destroke to 289 CID and they can spin to the moon and carry the torque curve with it.

I paid a little over 5k to stroke my car to a 5.1l and get my heads ported as well as cams installed. I also had lots of various parts replaced to make sure my engine lasts a long time like cam gears and timing chain, timing tentioners and so on.

At a 5.1L the engine sounds like a monster. I get complements all the time and people always ask how I got the car to sound like a big muscle car lol.

Here is 2 sample videos i took with different exhaust, but honestly you cant really tell the difference. Either way the car has a real deep tone even with the stock exhaust.

Stock 4 cat midpip
YouTube - 2000 Ford Mustang Roush Supercharged 500rwhp Cams Heads Vortech Cobra

Bassani X-pipe
YouTube - 2000 Ford Mustang Roush Supercharged 500rwhp Cams Heads Vortech Cobra