Black interior conversion - which paint?

Zero_chance

Founding Member
May 29, 2001
Maricopa, AZ
For anyone that has converted their interiors to all black, which paint did you use? Gloss or flat? I plan on using the duplicolor interior spray but wasnt sure if I wanted to use the gloss as it may be too shiny compared to the pieces that came black from the factory. The stock finish is more of a matte finish.

• Sponsors (?)

SEM Vinyl Dye, landau black. It is a PERFECT match to OEM black. It can be cleaned and you can use interior protectants on it like Black Magic.

Spray paint chips easier, vinyl dye works much better and lasts much longer. Clean everything you plan on dying with an alcohol, brake parts cleaner actually works very well. Once dry, in the sun, spray with the vinyl dye. You can do many thin layers like you would spray paint, but you can go thicker with each layer. It will not "fill in" the texture of interior panels, it actually contours to the texture perfectly.

My interior was originally different colors, I used red pieces, grey pieces, blue, and black. Everything matches perfectly now and looks OE. Holding up fine in the South Florida sun with no tint.

SEM Vinyl Dye, landau black. It is a PERFECT match to OEM black. It can be cleaned and you can use interior protectants on it like Black Magic.

Spray paint chips easier, vinyl dye works much better and lasts much longer. Clean everything you plan on dying with an alcohol, brake parts cleaner actually works very well. Once dry, in the sun, spray with the vinyl dye. You can do many thin layers like you would spray paint, but you can go thicker with each layer. It will not "fill in" the texture of interior panels, it actually contours to the texture perfectly.

My interior was originally different colors, I used red pieces, grey pieces, blue, and black. Everything matches perfectly now and looks OE. Holding up fine in the South Florida sun with no tint.

I have the what I think is ugly the black and like gray/blue interior. I was wondering how you go about changing the carpet in the door. When you pull the door panel off can you change the carpet in the door.

later
Orlie

I can get pics, don't have any of the interior right now.

Check yellowpages.com for any local auto upholstery shops, they usually sell it.

SEM Vinyl dye...make sure to get landau black. Gloss black is too....well, glossy and doesn't look right. Neither does flat. Landau black is pretty much dead on, it has a sheen to it like new OE parts, and it reacts to interior trim cleaners and polishers just like OE stuff does. Most upholstery shops use it to fix interior scratches and what not, because their colors and application resembles stock so closely.

I got the stuff from 50resto. It matched PERFECTLY. I had the black top of the dash already, and you cant even tell the difference. Just dont get the laquer based, it does NOT match right. Get the latex.

So are you all saying that 50 resto has the SEm vinyl stuff or are you saying that they have a different product that matches. And for the person that asked about the carpet, most of the sprays will change the color of the carpet without making it crusty. Also , just checked the 50 resto site and I found the paint but I have a question, the only two options are lacquer or vinyl? Im assuming you guys are referring to the vinyl as you both were against the lacquer... right? At least I know I have two options now. Probably will go with whatever one I can get first. Thanks for the info.

sem is great stuff can be found at any reputable parts store that deals with paint products....dont go to autozone they suck at everything

and the stuff from 50resto is there own stuff i have heard great things aswell...if you cant find the sem locally then you have the mail-order 50resto stuff you can get

REVIVAL.... What is the name of the stuff from 50resto?

Second, can it be used on the all the parts, including the door sill and center bezel (want to change the beige to black)

Third...Does it have the same "feel" when it is done? I know someone that tried painting the interior and said it had a very rough feel to it.

Thanks
RC