BLEW REAR YESTERDAY....how to rebuild

CONCRETEWARFARE

Apr 8, 2005
NEW YORK
I was at the track yesterday to tune my new combo and I warmed up my e/t streets dr's in the waterbox and went up to the line. As soon as I dumped the clutch they just dead hooked and I think it might have just snapped the axles but I havent taken it apart yet. My question is how can I build a rear to take a lot of abuse? Will I need to go with a 9 inch?

• Sponsors (?)

You can keep the 8.8

I went with 33 spline Moser spool, 5 lug axles and C clip elims, as well as a FRPP set of 4.30's. I also added a TFS girdle to help hold it together, as well as using 3" hardened Moroso studs.

I had a 4 cylinder coupe at the time. I just built it to take what ever I wanted to throw at it in the future... I'm glad I did, because now there is a 545CI BBF waiting to go in :D

I was at the track yesterday to tune my new combo and I warmed up my e/t streets dr's in the waterbox and went up to the line. As soon as I dumped the clutch they just dead hooked and I think it might have just snapped the axles but I havent taken it apart yet. My question is how can I build a rear to take a lot of abuse? Will I need to go with a 9 inch?

The big thing is the axles. The 8.8 is a heck of a rear with just axles. Even a good set of aftermarket 28 spline axles will really improve the strength. The stock carriers are tough as nails. I'd trust a 28 spline carrier (with aftermarket axles) on an 11 second car. Beyond that I'd upgrade to at least a 31 spline.

What you need and should do depends on mileage, budget, planned usage, and how much power you have.
If you are broke, i'd just stick a new set of upgraded 28 spline axles in, and at least replace the axle bearings and seals.
If you have more to spend i'd use 31 spline axles with an auburn or eaton with all new bearings.
BTW, rear work is very technical, alot of guys think you can just slap it together like an erector set, you can't, if you mess it up even a little, you can destroy a grand worth of parts.

I decided to re-do mine when I started on my rear suspension project. So far here's what I've got.

Auburn Pro Limited Slip Diff
Moser 31 Splines
FRPP 3.73's
Trick Flow Rearend Girdle
Welded the Axle Tubes and Control Arm Mounts

It's in the shop right now getting blasted and powdercoated and then it's going back together. I'm stoked to see how she works.

Well I got my strange 31 spline axles w/ c clip eliminators and strange full spool. Should I be able to launch it from 4500 or higher with out slipping the clutch or do I still need to slip the clutch a little? I am asking cause strange warrantys the 35 spline and up axles but not the 31.

Well I got my strange 31 spline axles w/ c clip eliminators and strange full spool. Should I be able to launch it from 4500 or higher with out slipping the clutch or do I still need to slip the clutch a little? I am asking cause strange warrantys the 35 spline and up axles but not the 31.

I launch mine at 6500 with the same setup (except Moser) and full slicks. You won't break those parts. Your weak point now is the axle tubes.