Bodywork - Degree of difficulty

Route666

Aug 16, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
If I had a 69 sportsroof, and bought the quarter panel repair sections from NPD, how hard would it be to fill in the scoop holes in the quarters with a piece of the repair skin? I like the smooth boss 302 look.

Would it be better to remove what is there, so there is just a hole, or would it not matter if I welded over the mount for the scoop?

Would it be expensive for a body man to do it if the car was stripped and in the process of being smoothed out and painted?

• Sponsors (?)

how good are your welding skills? I doubt it would be "hard" if you could weld well and are patient so as not to heat up the panel a whole lot and warp the hell out of it.

I am not to familiar with whats on the side of a 69 sports roof but welding up the few small holes wouldnt be hard either

Panel warping, I hadn't thought of that.

I used to be able to weld ok, when I was about 15, I haven't touched a welder since. I'd practice before I got to it, I'd probably weld all the seams under the body before I started on it, so that would give me some practice.

I am pretty patient, I like to get stuff done right, and usually you can't afford to do it twice if you want it done right.

How do you keep panels from warping? Do I set the welder cool and move swiftly? Do you just do a little at a time?

Route666 said:
How do you keep panels from warping? Do I set the welder cool and move swiftly? Do you just do a little at a time?

Dont let the panel heat up too much. Weld small bits at a time like 1/4 to 1/2 inch or less at a time ( I may be overly pariniod). And alternate on opsite sides/ends of the patch panel. Be patient, you want full penetration through the panel but you dont want it to get too hot.

If you are just cutting out a section and placing it into the cutout hole for the vent the area would be pretty well reinforced and you probably wouldnt have as much problems with warpage but you would still want to be careful.

Thanks for the tips! It's not paranoia, it's called attention to detail, and I suffer from the same illness! :nice:

Do you think putting a section over the scoop mount would create a place for rust? With the edges underneath. Would I be able to weld the edges from the inside so when it is painted it is all sealed? I don't have the car yet, otherwise it'd be stripped and I could have a look myself. I'm planning very ahead here, making notes on everything I can think of / work out. - Attention to detail. :)