Brake Clearance Issue

MikeH686

Mine is only two inches though.
10 Year Member
Oct 11, 2011
Waldorf, MD
I have quite the conundrum here guys I put 99-04 gt style rear brakes on my 91 they have 11.65" rotors in the rear. When I have my 17" cobra r wheels they weren't an issue at all. Now that I have swapped to a set of race star 15x10 wheels the banjo bolt and brake line grind the inside lip. I've had to put a whopping 9/16" spacer in order for it to not touch the wheel. I tried searching the interwebs to see a remedy or if there is a smaller rear brake setup I can put in the back. I have a couple of pics of what I'm talking about. Hopefully someone can help me out @84Ttop and @TOOLOW91 have both seen what I'm talking about.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

If you are running the 11.65" rotor out back, then that's the sn95 cobra rear setup. The 94-04 GT uses a 10.5" rotor.

If you want to run the smaller GT brakes, you'll need the GT rotors, and the axle brackets and anti moan brackets off any 94-04 GT/v6 mustang. You can use your existing caliper as it will also work with the GT setup.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

The brackets that support the pads?

Take a look at this pic
f85cc86e7d5db7ddbbae3f9c6a319b19.jpg

a5c15ca37891fbfafa631b873060b515.jpg

Main difference between GT rear calipers and cobra is the extra support bar on the cobra calipers and a wider rotor groove to clear the wider 11.65" rotor. Also, cobra pads are thinner as well due to the wider rotor

So you can run the cobra calipers on a GT rotor. What changes the diameter are the axles brackets you'll need to pull the axles out to install

You need three items
Rotors
Axle brackets
Anti moans

The calipers will bolt on, and even the dust shields will swap over

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I had a set of gt rotors and brackets and anti moans. New problem my calipers will not fit the new brackets.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The second picture is the offset that the cobra brackets had.

The brackets with the offset are aftermarket. Probably north cobra brackets.

I'm confused on your series of photos. Are those the GT brackets bolted up? Or what you had on there to begin with?

If you were running those offset brackets with an 11.65" rotor, then you had fox lengt axles with the north race car brackets that allow you to run the 11.65" rotor.

Is that what you had? If so, you'll need to buy the GT rotor version now.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah as soon as posted all of this I searched it up found that 99-04 axles are 1.75" wider. So that is where I need the north race cars brackets so thanks for your help friend!!!