brake help

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so i am quite low on money as we speak. i need new shocks and struts badly, im trying to get some tokiko hps on ebay for 260 bucks.

my brakes have been acting wierd for a little bit. so today after work i went to my friends house and used his jack, took off both wheels. driver side looks fine. just fine and dandy. plenty of pad, rotors in good shape minus the rust around the outsides, ect.

passenger side - inside pad looks good, outside pad looks low, probably 1/3rd shorter than the inner one. the rotor has ridges forming on the outer side. the inner side is still pretty smooth. it isnt warped, it still spins straight. the way i can describe it is if you put your finger agains the hat of the rotor, and drug it along the disk to the outside it would feel like a record, but more rounded and bigger ridges.

i know i can get the SSBC slotted rotor + pad combo for 210 dollars or so but im thinking thats too expensive. midas wanted 28 dollars to do a brake inspection, and if they did work on them, they wouldn't charge me that 28 dollars. i forgot to ask how much it would be to resurface one.

i have a printed off sheet from advance when i was talking to the guy about this. it says

wearever (brand) quantity 1 (?)
front - 1 year replacement 42.96

bendix (brand) quantity 1 (?)
front - 2 year replacement if defective 91.48.

so im guessing thats for the pair because it says front. i have a terrible memory, i wish i could remember.

cost for pads range from 21 to 45 dollars.

what would you do to get yourself a good shape passenger side rotor and a better pad for as little money as possible?

• Sponsors (?)

if it were me doing it, id do both sides at the same time. just the overall safer way to do it. you might as well pass up the bendix stuff cause the ssbc will be about the same price and probably at least look better if not perform better. ive got wearever pads on my truck, theyre not bad, dont leave near as much dust as what was on there before and theyve been on there several years (infact its about time for me to change rotors and pads on the thing now, barely passed the last saftey inspection).

anyway, if theres enough thickness on the rotors they may be able to be turned. shouldnt take too long or cost too much, but if you do one do the other. with a new set of pads you should be good.