Brake light switch...oops

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
A classic example of ambition and brawn over brain. In changing out my brake light switch, I inadvertently popped the prop rod to the master cylinder off of the pin on the brake pedal. Now it is turned perpendicular to the pin and I'm having trouble getting it turned so that I can get it back on along w/ the new switch. Any simple solutions to this, or have I really screwed myself?

Bryan

• Sponsors (?)

The rod should spin freely and realign to the pin on the brake pedal. Do you have power brakes or manual? Either should spin, so something is in a bind if it doesn't. Try pressing the rod in by hand while turning it and see if that works.

Power disc brakes up front. It's not spinning freely, but it's also a very tight space, and I can basically only get my hand in there. So, I don't know if it really ISN'T spinning freely, or if I'm just not getting good leverage. The steering column is a big hindrance to my getting a good angle to reach it.

It's not really cocked at a bad angle, but it's resting on the pin on the brake pedal which limits the play. No matter how far in/out I position the brake pedal, the push rod is resting on the pin.

I'll keep trying, and welcome any additional input/ideas. It may be a couple of days before I could post a pic--we have a busy week w/ the little one.

Thanks to everyone who's tried to help so far!

Bryan

tos said:
Is it not spinning or just cocked at a bad angle and not lining up? If its cocked just loosen the master cylinder nuts up and see if that gives you a little play.:shrug:

Sounds like it's wedged like you said and jambed. Good idea to loosen the MC screws to free it up. This is a tough little thing to do although when you look at it, it should take 30 seconds to do.

I know this is re-hashing an old post of mine, but I hate to not give updates since several people tried to help. I was finally able to get my hand in from the passenger side of the steering column and had just enough room to do as jcode68 recommended. Got enough leverage to push in a little and turn the pushrod so that it lined back up w/ the pin on the brake pedal. Thanks again for the help!

Bryan