• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Brake pad and rotor upgrade

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sparky714
  • Start date Start date Aug 7, 2026

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 7, 2026
#1
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #1
Looking for a decent, resonably priced pad and rotor upgrade for my '89. The setup I have is about 10 years old with drilled and slotted rotors, and has been working ok, but sometimes slowing down from a hard pull I get a very hard pedal with a lot of brake fade. I'm not even sure what brand my existing stuff is. I think I bought it off Ebay. Not going to 5 lug setup. I have three full sets of tires and wheels, and I'm not changing brakes and wheels. I'll probably go four wheel disk setup, but that's not happening right now. Just looking for a setup that will be better than what I have that won't take more than a day to upgrade. It's prime Foxbody driving weather right now and I'll have all winter to do a better setup. I was looking at this pad and rotor kit. Any body have any experience wit it, or have something good in the same price range? https://lmr.com/item/PS-1279-26/powerstop-mustang-z26-rotor-pad-kit-front-87-93-5-0
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,151
4,243
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 7, 2026
#2
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #2
First thing I would look at is the hard pedal. Typically with brake fad the pedal will just go to the floor. Almost sounds like the booster is suspect but it could be the master cylinder. Have you checked the brake fluid i.e. when is the last time you flushed the brakes?

As far as staying 4 lug and getting good brakes it’s not hard but realize it will never compare to the SN95 brakes.

Drilled rotors are for ricers and race cars. Slotted seem to help with relieving the gas between the pad and rotor on street cars. You need good pads period. I would also suggest stainless braided soft lines as every little bit with the 4 lug brakes helps.

As for a good rear disc brake kit you are looking for the 87-88 Turbo Coupe or 1993 Cobra style rear brakes. If you go this route just switch over to the 1993 master cylinder. Some move to the 1993 booster as well but that’s up to you. Do some research there.
 
Reactions: Sparky714

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Aug 7, 2026
#3
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #3
I agree. A pedal going hard with hard stopping points to a mechanical issue. Perhaps booster issue?

I would not go drilled rotors. You really don't want to reduce mass on these rotors because of the design of combining the hub/rotor into one.

Good solid blank rotors and look into better pads and fresh brake fluid. Hawk pads or Powestops. I'd probably pick the Z26 compound over the Z23. EBC greenstuff is likely a good pad as well. Unfortunately all the good pads with bite, are going to make more dust.
 
Reactions: General karthief and Sparky714

keel

Active Member
Aug 23, 2020
269
121
53
Seattle, Wa
Aug 7, 2026
#4
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #4
I had OEM style rotors and Hawk Performance HPS pads before I converted everything to SN95 stuff and I liked how that setup felt. Not much difference in cost to what you linked.

As far as your hard pedal and not stopping well, sounds like your brakes could be glazed over.
 
Last edited: Aug 7, 2026
Reactions: General karthief and Sparky714
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 7, 2026
#5
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #5
One thing to keep in mind is that track pads are not street pads. Track pads need heat before they are effective. BTDT.
The pads you purchase should work in the temperature range that you mostly drive in. I've gone back to semi-metallic TRW pads that are nothing fancy and have better stopping quality everywhere. Today's ceramic pads are an excellent choice as well. The OEM's use ceramic pads on most of the new vehicles these days.
I have a full set of SN HPS pads for sale in the classifieds. The cheap TRW pads worked better for daily driving. They will fade after a couple of high speed stops though and the HPS pads don't. We're talking 130mph stops though.

Every hole drilled in a rotor creates a stress riser. If you get those rotors good and hot, they can crack. There's a reason why race cars run solid rotors.
 
Reactions: Sparky714

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 7, 2026
#6
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #6
AeroCoupe said:
First thing I would look at is the hard pedal. Typically with brake fad the pedal will just go to the floor. Almost sounds like the booster is suspect but it could be the master cylinder. Have you checked the brake fluid i.e. when is the last time you flushed the brakes?

As far as staying 4 lug and getting good brakes it’s not hard but realize it will never compare to the SN95 brakes.

Drilled rotors are for ricers and race cars. Slotted seem to help with relieving the gas between the pad and rotor on street cars. You need good pads period. I would also suggest stainless braided soft lines as every little bit with the 4 lug brakes helps.

As for a good rear disc brake kit you are looking for the 87-88 Turbo Coupe or 1993 Cobra style rear brakes. If you go this route just switch over to the 1993 master cylinder. Some move to the 1993 booster as well but that’s up to you. Do some research there.
Click to expand...
Rotors, drums, all pads and rear drum cylinders were replaced and fluid flushed about eight years ago. I've probably got about 30K miles on it since then. The hard pedal only happens under very hard braking. Think shut down after 1/8 mile pass. And not all the time. Normal street and highway driving, no issues. May have to look at the master cylinder and booster.
 

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 7, 2026
#7
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #7
Mustang5L5 said:
I agree. A pedal going hard with hard stopping points to a mechanical issue. Perhaps booster issue?

I would not go drilled rotors. You really don't want to reduce mass on these rotors because of the design of combining the hub/rotor into one.

Good solid blank rotors and look into better pads and fresh brake fluid. Hawk pads or Powestops. I'd probably pick the Z26 compound over the Z23. EBC greenstuff is likely a good pad as well. Unfortunately all the good pads with bite, are going to make more dust.
Click to expand...
Ok, new blank rotors, a set of Hawk HPS pads on the way. Hopefully with the new pads rotors and a flush, braking improves and gets me through the summer. If I still have the hard pedal issue, I'll tackle the master and booster. Then figure out what I want to do for 4 wheel disc conversion this winter. Thanks guys!
 
Reactions: keel

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,151
4,243
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 7, 2026
#8
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #8
8 years is a long to for brake fluid to sit. I typically flush fluid about every 5 years but that it me and it carried over from helping my buddy road race.

The hard pedal sounds like a vacuum issue to me. End of a pass you are up in the rpm's and not making much of any vacuum so if the booster is borderline this would make sense to me.
 
Reactions: limp

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 7, 2026
#9
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #9
AeroCoupe said:
8 years is a long to for brake fluid to sit. I typically flush fluid about every 5 years but that it me and it carried over from helping my buddy road race.

The hard pedal sounds like a vacuum issue to me. End of a pass you are up in the rpm's and not making much of any vacuum so if the booster is borderline this would make sense to me.
Click to expand...
Possibly. I think it's making enough vacuum when I lift off the throttle, but that still doesn't rule out the booster. It is original to the car. You can see in this log, the MAP KPA is pretty low when coming off the throttle after a hard pull. MAP is the red trace in the middle box.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,151
4,243
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 7, 2026
#10
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #10
So friggin' cool...damn I need to get this MS PnP Pro installed in my car.
 
Reactions: Mindseye007 and Sparky714

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
Aug 11, 2026
#11
  • Aug 11, 2026
  • #11
What happened to these?

(not currently available) Stainless Steel Brake Caliper Sleeves, 1987-93
 

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 12, 2026
#12
  • Aug 12, 2026
  • #12
2000xp8 said:
What happened to these?

(not currently available) Stainless Steel Brake Caliper Sleeves, 1987-93
Click to expand...
LMR still has them. I've had theirs on my car for about 10 years. https://lmr.com/item/SVE-H5016-CS/87-93-mustang-brake-caliper-sleeves-sve
 
Last edited: Aug 15, 2026
Reactions: 2000xp8

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
Aug 15, 2026
#13
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • #13
Hadn't seen this kit before.
Personally i wouldn't do anything twice, i'm more of an all in or nothing type of guy at this point. Most brake projects can be done in a weekend. Other than the 3 to 2 port conversion (not sure if they have premade lines now), it's all really just bolt on.

Foxbody Mustang - 1979-1993 4-Lug Front Brake Kit

Complete Foxbody Mustang Cobra 4-lug 13" brake kit for the Foxbody spindle. Includes Cobra brakes designed for 4-lug 17" wheels, or earlier fox 4-lug wheels.
foxbodybrakes.com
 

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 15, 2026
#14
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • #14
2000xp8 said:
Hadn't seen this kit before.
Personally i wouldn't do anything twice, i'm more of an all in or nothing type of guy at this point. Most brake projects can be done in a weekend. Other than the 3 to 2 port conversion (not sure if they have premade lines now), it's all really just bolt on.

Foxbody Mustang - 1979-1993 4-Lug Front Brake Kit

Complete Foxbody Mustang Cobra 4-lug 13" brake kit for the Foxbody spindle. Includes Cobra brakes designed for 4-lug 17" wheels, or earlier fox 4-lug wheels.
foxbodybrakes.com
Click to expand...
Already received my new parts, and had a rainy cool day to work in the shop yesterday, so it's all installed. Winters are long here in ND, so I'll need a project anyway. I'm going to convert to rear disk, but I need to find a kit that will clear my 15" Weld wheels with my drag tires on them.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4080.webp
    358.5 KB · Views: 20

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,151
4,243
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 15, 2026
#15
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • #15
Looks good man! I know for a fact the SSBC rear disc brake conversion will clear on 15" Weld Draglites. These are the exact wheels I ran with the kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-90-58038

And this is the kit:

1993 Ford Mustang factory 4-lug Direct-Fit Rear Drum-to-Disc Brake Conversion Kit with Rotors (4-Lug) – A112-93BK

SSBC-USA rear drum-to-disc brake conversion kit with rotors for 1993 Ford Mustang 4-lug applications. Black finish.
ssbc-usa.com

It is basically the same as the 87-88 Turbo Coupe / 1993 Cobra rear disc brakes. The master cylinder is a joke to just punt it into the trash and get a 1993 Cobra MC, a 3 to 2 conversion kit, brake proportioning valve kit, and a manual proportioning valve:

Manual Brake Installation Kit, 1993 Cobra/1994 GT master cylinder in 1987-93 Mustang

Brake Proportioning Valve Plug, 1979-2004

Adjustable Brake Proportioning Valve, SAE ports

Diagram on what to gut on the combination valve:

 
Last edited: Aug 15, 2026
Reactions: Sparky714

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Aug 17, 2026
#16
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • #16
Sparky714 said:
, but that still doesn't rule out the booster.
Click to expand...

Try the check valve first. Pull it and test and make sure it's still working as a one-way valve. You might be working off straight vacuum which is why it gets hard after a long pull if you haven't even touched the pedal. The check valve should keep a reserve in the booster for 1 or 2 presses.
 
Reactions: Sparky714

Sparky714

5 Year Member
Oct 16, 2015
375
210
73
North Dakota
Aug 17, 2026
#17
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • #17
Mustang5L5 said:
Try the check valve first. Pull it and test and make sure it's still working as a one-way valve. You might be working off straight vacuum which is why it gets hard after a long pull if you haven't even touched the pedal. The check valve should keep a reserve in the booster for 1 or 2 presses.
Click to expand...
Interesting, Where is the check valve? Edit: Google showed me where it is. Did not know about this valve, and definitely going to check it out. Thanks!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Fox Need help identifying brake setup
  • Cypher02xd
  • Apr 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
175
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 27, 2026
Mustang5L5
Brakes Has anyone upgraded their front 4 lug stock rotors and pads to these?
  • Mindseye007
  • Apr 12, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
703
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 26, 2026
AeroCoupe
Progress Thread 91GTstroked 90 7 up convertible build
  • 91GTstroked
  • Apr 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
404
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 22, 2026
91GTstroked
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
142
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
J
For Sale MASTER LISTING: Abandoned '66 Mustang Restomod Part-Out (Wilwood, Ididit, Quick Performance, Mishimoto)
  • JasonB66
  • Jul 23, 2026
  • Suspension
Replies
0
Views
229
Suspension Jul 23, 2026
JasonB66
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?