Brake pedal CLICKS when you remove your foot.

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
My g/f's 95 GT (we just bought) has an annoying little issue. I thought it was something in the dash, but I guess it's related to the brake pedal. Anytime you release the brake pedal all the way, there is a distinct clicking noise. Not sure if it's the switch for the lights or what. But it's annoying.

Help?:D

• Sponsors (?)

I'd try to depress the pedal and then manually (digitally) open and close the switch and see if it clicks. That will help narrow it down (versus it being a pivot or bushing issue in the pedal arm itself).

It takes but a minute to remove the switch. Davis and Chythar have had some great posts and pics on swapping it (to get the order of spacers correct).

If you get the parts in the wrong order, your brake light will always be on or work intermittently. Take a few digital photos first or I can upload the ones I took.

One more thought - but I cant remember which car I'm thinking of (one of them I've worked on does the same thing). If this car is an AODE, the interlock relay dealie clicks IIRC.

That's the thing, we both have AODE's and mine doesn't make this noise at all. I've been sick with some stupid inner ear viral infection BS. I'm either so dizzy I can't stand up, or I'm so tired I can't stand from the motion sickness pills. The doctors just say it'll magically go away one day. I'm still waiting... :bang:

That's the thing, we both have AODE's and mine doesn't make this noise at all. I've been sick with some stupid inner ear viral infection BS. I'm either so dizzy I can't stand up, or I'm so tired I can't stand from the motion sickness pills. The doctors just say it'll magically go away one day. I'm still waiting... :bang:

Sounds like the clicking is the least of your worries.

Are you able to move the gear selector (on your car) out of Park and Neutral without depressing the brake pedal?

I hope you get over your pink ear quickly!

Sounds to me like the switch that allows the trans to removed from park. I had the same clicking sound in my ford escape, ford fixed it for me but I drove it that way for over a year. If the switch does go bad, you will not be able to remove the car from park and into drive as it will think the brake is not on.

Hmm, I wonder if you're missing a plastic spacer that goes between the brake pedal and the brake booster? The spacer goes between the two pieces of metal and should deaden any sounds.