Brakes Brake pedal swtich

derek1993

Sep 13, 2020
Thompson's Station, TN
Found that brake lights weren't working, blinkers, driving lights, etc. All work fine. Pulled the brake pedal switch, and tested off of the pedal. Pushing the tab on the switch the brakes light up fine. Looks like the pedal isn't engaging the tab on the switch enough when depressed.
Is there a need to adjust /change the switch after a booster swap? Or any suggestions/tips

• Sponsors (?)

Just ended up bending the tab on the switch out a short bit to allow it to engage, we now have shiny red lights when the middle pedal is mashed again..
I am having this exact same problem. Can you explain which tab you bent and how far? This is seriously driving me crazy. Haven't been able to drive all summer w/o brake lites! Just got another new switch in case that's the issue. TIA

Here's another thing to check out. I installed a reman booster in in my '84 and had no brake lights. After fighting with it for an hour or so, pulled the booster and found this. If the plastic bushing wears out, it's metal on metal and will oval out causing the brake lights to not work. Sometimes you can put another bushing in and fix it too.
bad booster.jpg