Brake vibration and grinding

on

First time poster but long time reader. This may be somewhere else on the forum, so I apologize if its repeated. Hoping to save someone else from the trouble I've been going through with my dealership and OEM brakes. Never expected it out of a dealership and Motorcraft parts, but here I am. I took my wife's daily driven 08 Mustang Vert GT to the dealership for the airbag recall and 4 wheel new brakes. She got 67K out of the factory originals, so I expected many years of trouble free service. HA, not so. Cars been nothing but problems since. 6 return trip and the brake grinding and pulsation keeps coming back. It literally felt like the ABS was kicking in on medium to heavy braking. Sounded like we were grinding pounds of brake rotor off, but found no physical signs of it. No Codes dropped and no dash lights came on, but for months it sounded like serious damage was being done somewhere in the car. Gave up on the dealership and changed all brakes with NAPA premium parts. First time in 22 months the car hasn't vibrated or grinded-AMEN! Only Ford tech's touched that car since it rolled off the assembly line, except for batteries, oil, a Magnaflow cat back, Ford performance CAI and Bama tune. The pictures are of the shim separated from the back of the pad of the Motorcraft pad. This after less than a year and less than 6K miles. Looks like that was the problem all along and you couldn't see it till you take off the OEM pads. Has anyone else experienced this? Could anyone direct me to further information on what appears to a manufacturing defect in these parts? OR, do I have it completely wrong and there is something else wrong with the braking system that I should fix? I know I can't possibly be the only one to figure this out. Dealership is playing stupid when I asked for my money back. Bottom line if you are experience mystery vibration in the floor, pulsation in the brake pedal and grinding, or think the ABS is kicking in on dry and level roads but cant find the problem-you might want to check those OEM pads. Please feel free to provide feedback, I'm very curious. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2547 (1).JPG
    IMG_2547 (1).JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

WOW! That shim moved a fair amount, good catch. Wouldn't expect that from Motorcraft. I'd bet they aren't the same as the pads that came on the car even though they say Motorcraft. Glad you got it squared away. I run AutoZone's Duralast MAX (Was C-Max) and mostly highway driving. I get 120k miles on the front pads. Factory pads went 120 and the Max went 120. Only 42k on the current pads. I had vibration with the factory pads at higher speeds, but never with the Max even with the same factory rotors. So maybe the factory pads are the same...hmmmm.

Yep, they were pretty bad. The dealership put three sets of these pads on my car over a 10 month period of time. All of them eventually started grinding like the ABS was kicking in or your brakes were falling apart. It also effected the ABS when it really did kick in. Felt like both front tires were banging against the fenders. Huge safety issue IMO. Never thought Ford would put these junky Motorcraft pads on customer cars. Pretty disappointed.