Brakes failed!!! SCARY!!

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
So im on the freeway doing about 85-90mph and i get off to get gas..Im pulling into the gas station and my brake pedal sinks to the floor!!! No resistance on the pedal and the car keeps rolling..No braking power whatsoever...I pull my E Brake and roll into a space and theres a puddle of brake fluid and a trail to my car..I open my hood and check my master cylinder..The float is all the way at the bottom.
So now I am just waiting until I get enough time off work to fix it but please..any suggestions or ideas would be helpful!!

Thanks

Kris

• Sponsors (?)

usally its a hose same thing happened to me in my volks brakes went rear metal line and when i took the brakes apart the ebrake cables were badly frayed i mean there was less then 4 strands on each that was going 55 to a stop light yikes.

glad to here you and the car are ok

The actual seals on the MC leaking is possible. Look for a snail trail of fluid around the MC.

Urban, they do use a bi-set-up as I recall. But as you know, with no fluid, neither works.

Kris, I applaud your ability to think clearly and calmly and have faith in the E-brake. :D Seriously, you did well and I'm glad you and your ride are ok. :nice:

Loss of vacuum isn't fun either. The pedal gets real hard and you press it with all your might, but only manage to slow down a little. If there was ever a time I needed a change of underwear in the middle of the day, that was it.

Sounds like a hole in one of the lines, you'll need to replace the master cylinder as well. I had a master fail on an old Grand Prix in company parking lot which wasn't bad, and I've had a wheel cylinder blow out on an Delta 88 on the fly. Not much fun trying to stop....Darn winter beaters

Sounds like a hole in one of the lines, you'll need to replace the master cylinder as well. I had a master fail on an old Grand Prix in company parking lot which wasn't bad, and I've had a wheel cylinder blow out on an Delta 88 on the fly. Not much fun trying to stop....Darn winter beaters

No suprising at all considering they were both GM's..lol I've never had my brakes fail and I pray I never do. You all got me thinking maybe it's a good idea to replace the entire system as a precaution.

No suprising at all considering they were both GM's

Well I did say I drove them as winter beaters:rolleyes: , other then the brakes, and odd stuff both those junkers did alright as beaters they more then paid for themselves. You don't get much for a few of C-notes these days and a few can's of bondo, I really liked using stove piping & pop rivets to fill in the holes in the lower doors & rear 1/4 panels. They at least started, just didn't like stopping! Man I glad I don't have to drive junk anymore!