Brand New 4.6 2V Vortech V3 SC. Running hot

shipracer

Feb 21, 2019
socal
Hey Guys, I have a brand new 4.6 2v engine, new all aluminum radiator, all new fluid. My current tune is overkill with my fan, starts at 160 degrees and is full by 190 or 200 (I cant remember). Water pump is good. What am I missing

Car seems to run hot on any freeway runs, or higher RPM. I suspect my lower radiator hose may be collapsing (not sure there is an internal spring in my hose). By hot i mean it creeps 200-210-215 and instantly cools down when stopped moving or lower speeds.

Any thoughts or Ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors(?)

alwayshi

Feb 22, 2019
Hawaii
That sounds normal after Highway pulls to me? And you say that the temps immediately drop when you slow down or cruise.
Especially with a supercharger that generates more heat within the engine bay. Are you intercooled or non-intercooled?

shipracer

Feb 21, 2019
socal
It is intercooled. Thanks for the reply.

I was told 210 before was running on the hot side, I want to be able to highway drive (hold speed limit) and not get to hot, and do a couple of safe WOT/PULLs (to pass a car or anything).. without hitting 220. But I may just be dreaming or the temps like you say are normal.

Being supercharged, you see no issue with WOTs at 210 temp?

alwayshi

Feb 22, 2019
Hawaii
If you’re beating on it then yes I’d expect the temps to rise to around there. If you’re cruising highway and out of boost, I’d imagine the temps would stay in the normal range.
If hoses aren’t collapsing, thermostat is truly working along with fans and you’ve bled the system correctly, then I wouldn’t worry too much.
If anything, you can always upgrade the electric fans to a higher CFM.

This experience that I’m saying is coming from my boosted 240sx. I learned the hard way from hard lapping that car, and I’m currently in the process of v3 intercooling my ‘00 GT right now.

When I was racing the GT n/a, I’d always make sure to give it 20-30 minutes to cool down somewhat before the next run.

How much power are you making with what pulley size? I just got intercooler piping to finish up and can’t wait to start her

alwayshi

Feb 22, 2019
Hawaii
Wow, great numbers!!
Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on the temps. That centrifugal Charger does add additional heat to the bay, so heat soak increases too

alwayshi

Feb 22, 2019
Hawaii
That’s interesting info..maybe upgraded electric fans associated with a lower thermostat will do the trick

Don A

May 20, 2016
Here's a couple of things to check before you spend any money or lose sleep. 1) Temp gauges can be off, as much as 15-20 degree's in some cases. I use a cheap meat thermometer from the grocery store to check gauge. Insert the probe in the radiator fins up high close to where the top hose comes in to the radiator and compare to gauge. 2) Most late model thermostats are 195 or above to burn hydrocarbons. Drop to a 180 if 180 to 200 is the rage your comfortable with. Thermostats do two things; controls the lower limit to maintain adequate temp in cold weather and limits flow when open to allow for adequate cooling time in the radiator. 3) Check for that spring in the bottom hose. The hose will have a tendency to collapse at high speed or high RPM's. Most high speed overheats indicate one of two things; a) Inadequate radiator for the amount of heat that engine is producing when it's making horse power (high RPM's), or b) either restricted flow or "too much flow" rate through the radiator for a 30 degree temperature drop inlet to outlet which is about normal.

shipracer

Feb 21, 2019
socal
im 99% sure my lower hose does not have a spring, Also to note, my car is a 2005 police interceptor basically a 4 door mustang 99-04.

Im pretty sure it is collapsing but i cant really see/prove it, until on the dyno maybe.