Breakin in procedures for a flat tappet cam...

I've heard so many ways of doing this to make sure the lifters are spinning and getting oil, from leaving the valve covers loose and marking the pushrods with a marker, lifting the valve cover a little and watch the pushrod spin, start it keep at or around 2000 rpms and pray, etc. How do you guys go about doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

I never had a problem with my 83 (flat tappet) during cam swaps by following Crane and Comps recommendations. Start the car, let it idle no less then 1500 rpm for atleast 20 minutes. make sure you fill the oil filter with oil, so you get instant pressure, and you'll be good to go. :nice:

To help with the oil pressure idea...prime the system (either with coil disconnected and turn the engine over for a few seconds) or right before you reinstall the distributor you can buy a priming tool to spin the oil pump and build pressure without actually turning the engine over (my preferred method)...

Keep the rpms up around 15-2000rpm and change the oil after a heat cycle or two and you should be good to go.

If you a HR cam you wouldn't need to break it in...:)