Paint and Body Broke a piece and now need repaint.

I was attempting to install that small spring that attaches to headlight bucket. Trying to pull that spring onto the mount on the fender extension when that mount just had a total come apart. 56 year old metal snapped in about 3 pieces. Not repairable that I can see, so I ordered a new fender extension and that means I have to have it painted and color matched. Can autobody supply supply me with color match paint in an arosol so I can do my own repaint ? To me it looks like ivy green but I'm not sure that would be a perfect match. I know they can use a color gun to get the color, but can they put it in an arosol that I can shoot ? I don't have any spray equipment.

• Sponsors (?)

The only color you would be able to get away with that is black(maybe white). Take...Ivy Green in your example...even if you have paint from the same gallon container, the paint on your car is going to be a different shade after being exposed to UV light for however many years that what is left in that bucket....its why body shops often have to blend panels that have been replaced. I don't know how bad the damage is, but I believe they sell a repair kit for broken tabs on those buckets...aggravating because those pieces are pot metal, making repair far more difficult.

Yeah, the car "looks like" ivy green, but not sure it's an exact match. I would have to try to have some one get it close and be satisfied with what I get. Repair kit gets me thinking. I could try to epoxy the pieces back in place and reenforce it with fiberglass on the backside. If it don't hold, worst case is go forward with a repaint.

One suggestion is to find someone local to you that does paint and body out of a workshop on their property(there is always someone) for a piece like that its a much cheaper option that going to a full bodyshop....or maybe a bodyshop employee who does side work. I only really suggest it as an option since its such a small piece.

Reactions: 1 user
Some auto paint supply stores can make the spray can but match / durability won't be as good but might be good enough.

I would do anything I could to save the one you have. The spring is not visible on the outside, especially with the headlight doors on. Perhaps JB weld a rod/bar across in the right spot? I learned last weekend that the spring cannot be put in with a headlight in the bucket, you have to install the empty bucket to the adjusters, then the spring.

Yes you can get a spray can filled ,usually have to do two for them to do it . I have had to touch up inside of trunks ,door jambs and other small areas . My paint supplier can mix Centari in a spray can and the match is usually very close . ,if the car is clear coated you can spray over Centari if done in the proper time . There is some pretty good automotive clears in spray can

So here is the update. I found a small shop that is willing to color match and shoot the part for $80. I'm ok with that. I went to the local auto body supply and had them read the color with their color gun. MUCH to our surprise the color came back ABF Truck Transport Rainbow Green. :oops::oops: As hideous as that sounds it's really not far off from Ivy green. The thing that attracted me to this coup is that it looked to be (close) to the same color as the one I had in high school. Anyway should be done next week. Thanks all !

Reactions: 1 user