Broke my Baby today

onefaststang said:
Brian, what type of machine work does the dart block need? I've been thinking that it's going to cost me about the same either way I go. The only reason I was considering modular is because of the strength of the block over the windsors block. I'm going to sell my heads to pay for new rods and pistons, so I will need new heads later on. I always wanted to go bigger anyways right.....

Rick, the cost of the Dart block is what was shying me away from the Windsor again. But then again, once you take a production block and put $1000 worth of machine work, etc.. into it your about halfway to the dart block, so I'm not sure what I am doing yet.

JR my plan is to get my car running with this stock 74 block then, start on a DART block motor, 4.125" or larger bore, 2.75" journal I know I am taking a chance but I could not swing the DART at this time just way to much going on (fully building the car, chassis 25.5 possibly, all new parts and getting married), I went in head first and I want to run next NMRA season. I know a lot of guys that have run stock blocks pushing the power I plan to make (800-1000+) and the key is the machine work and tolerances, some tricks, just need it to last till I can afford the better block.

From what I know about the DART, they need to be gone over and checked like any block for a high performance motor should be (align hone, hone lifter bores, final hone or bore, deck or atleast check for flatness) Brian had the best price I could find on a DART block :nice:

Good Luck with what ever you decide..

• Sponsors (?)

Rick, I can get a 69 boss block but once I go through all the machine work it looks like I would be close to what a standard bore dart block would cost me. I've read a couple places where guys said their Dart block was pretty nice right off the crate and only needed a little bit of finishing touches.

Wonder what the largest cubes I could go to on a 4" bore would be.....

Be carefull with that sock block. I didn't think I would be pulling the motor out untill next year, and then I thought it would be just for a freshen up.....

Brian, need a YS trim? Work out a deal on a block with ya. :)

Ouch. Thats crazy how much damage occured.
I am a little worried about my 408 stock block holding together road racing it.
When I pull my motor this winter I think I will double an triple check the tolerances again. Seeing these pics make me nervous, one second everything is fine and going good, and then the next second everything is bent and broken.

Why no Main Support System?

onefaststang said:
Good info N8.
Looks like everything in the engine bay is going to be for sale now guys.... What a way to celebrate my birthday huh...
Hey dude i have a 69 351 block that has been hottanked, magged, and nocthed for a 408 i also have eagle h beam rods and BRC flattop forged pistons for the block. I even have A GT40 lower 351w intake new in box,cloydes double roller timing set let me know if you want to make a deal.

JR,
Ouch. My condolences to your late motor. Those bottom end pictures look like random scrap metal. I hope you put that pony wheel money away in the piggy bank; you're gonna need it :D Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it though. Im keeping my fingers crossed for a modular swap(it's probably one of the coolest things you can to with a Fox), but then again I have to keep my fingers crossed to find time to do basic maintenence on my car.

I'm not sure, but I think the navigator crank is forged. If it were me, I would try the three valve heads from the new f-150. Add a sheetmetal intake, some good rods and that turbo, it should be a monster.

The only drawback is that custom cams might be hard to get.

Everything that was for sale is long gone. This post is pretty old guys. Got a whole new setup in the works, and already underway. I've already begun building the turbo setup.

I do have a set of 15x10 draglites with 28x11.5 et streets on them for sale. Keeping the fronts though.

ok guys. Here are a couple pics of the mess. Just a couple that I dug up real quick like.
broken%20bottom%20011.jpg

close up shot
broken%20bottom%20007.jpg

And a couple of the new setup
a351 svo block, built by ford(compelte shortblock). Edelbrock alum. heads, unsure of cam. going to try and make more power, for less money this time around. Buying stuff used is the way to go now.
turbokit%20003.jpg

another
turbokit%20007.jpg

turbokit%20013.jpg

and the turbo. Yes, that is a 5" to 4" exhaust on there. Going to run straight 4" all the way back.
turbokit%20009.jpg

Just wondering how much you would want for the blower, i have a vortech with an A trim needing to be rebuilt. Also what kind of trim did you have in it, i put a 3 inch pulley on mine and was having all sorts of problems with the A trim, and now even with the blower off the car runs like crap.