Budget Cobra brake upgrade

stangnutlx

May 24, 2005
Coventry, RI
Well i couldnt come up with the 1000 to get the 10th anniversary cobra brake kit so i started calling my local parts places for pricing and found buying cobra brake parts through them to be cheaper.

Here is a list of part numbers for some of you who would like to try the same thing i did.

M2300-M rear 11" rotor kit. needed for using cobra, mach, or bullit brakes. Bought from American Muscle.

M2321A - Coarse thread Banjo bolts

YH-145271 - 13" rotors bought from Advanced Auto

H381287/H381286 - Front brake hose

MX412- front brake pads

1405-12777/1405-12741 Front Black Calipers. They do not say cobra

I havent recieved the rear calipers yet but i will update with a part number later today.

• Sponsors (?)

$1000 for the upgrade??

I converted my Fox Mustang to Cobra disks for less than that and needed far more parts.

~ $350ish for Mach 1 front brake kit and $175 for the M-2300-M kit. Rear calipers are the same. You can pony up $80 for the rear U-brackets from Ford or just mod your GT brackets.

$1000 for the upgrade??

I converted my Fox Mustang to Cobra disks for less than that and needed far more parts.

~ $350ish for Mach 1 front brake kit and $175 for the M-2300-M kit. Rear calipers are the same. You can pony up $80 for the rear U-brackets from Ford or just mod your GT brackets.

btw. i took a peek at your fox thread in the 5.0 section...:drool:

buyfordracing.com pick up the mach1/cobra kit for ~370 bucks.

mach 1 = cobra brakes

and for rear: Buy Ford Racing Parts!

Ford Racing Black Cobra Brake Upgrade Kit (Front and Rear) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

1994-2004 Mustang GT Cobra 10th Anniv. Complete Front and Rear Brake Conversion. at Blue Oval Industries for your Ford Mustang @ Blue Oval Industries

The kits you talk about dont come with anything else. your talking about just calipers. I havent spent $1000 im no where close to it doing it this way.

sdggsfvgvdfg.jpg

serious question: what more do you need?

itll be hard to find better prices than this online (at once)

it seemed like he wanted to get everything in one shot so thats what i tried piecing together...there always is the classifieds section if its not an immediate need to have everything "now" i guess

its not budget no. but what i interpreted him saying in his OP is that anything cheaper than what the stealerships are trying to sell him would be defaulted to what would be "budget"

Either way, Sub $1000 for very good OEM brakes is well worth it in my book. There are kits to put these same brakes on other cars for $2500+. Baer uses the same fronts and similar rears

Either way, Sub $1000 for very good OEM brakes is well worth it in my book. There are kits to put these same brakes on other cars for $2500+. Baer uses the same fronts and similar rears

+1. i wish i had some coin. i would have bought everything in the shoping cart in that picture i uploaded. :)

oh and FWIW. the majority of the stopping power is in the front brakes. the rear kit just allows you to run a bigger rotor. the caliper is the same one you have now. so if you REALLY need the bigger rotors, get them. or instead save some $$$

(5L5 correct me if i am wrong)

+1. i wish i had some coin. i would have bought everything in the shoping cart in that picture i uploaded. :)

oh and FWIW. the majority of the stopping power is in the front brakes. the rear kit just allows you to run a bigger rotor. the caliper is the same one you have now. so if you REALLY need the bigger rotors, get them. or instead save some $$$

(5L5 correct me if i am wrong)

rear brakes on a GT are 10.5" the new ones are 11.65"

MY point i was trying to make was doing a cobra brake upgrade for less than anyone else is selling them for was the goal.

rear brakes on a GT are 10.5" the new ones are 11.65"

right but thats just the rotor. your caliper can run the bigger rotor with an adapter. other than that theyre the same. theres minimal stopping power gains the rear makes when compared to just upgrading the front. not trying to argue, just trying to give you options. i am still waiting on confirmation on this from 5L5. there have been a lot of these threads to pop up in the past

MY point i was trying to make was doing a cobra brake upgrade for less than anyone else is selling them for was the goal.

hmm def check classifieds/ebay (dare i say) junkyards even

right but thats just the rotor. your caliper can run the bigger rotor with an adapter. other than that theyre the same. theres minimal stopping power gains the rear makes when compared to just upgrading the front. not trying to argue, just trying to give you options. i am still waiting on confirmation on this from 5L5. there have been a lot of these threads to pop up in the past

You are right. GT is 10.5" solid and Cobra is 11.65" vented.

The caliper is exactly the same. The part the brake hose connects to, that clamps on the pads is the same between a 1994 V6 and a 2004 Cobra.

The difference in rotor height is made up by the axle brackets. The larger Cobra brackets are included in the M-2300-M kit.

Another difference in the caliper is the U-shaped bracket which supports the pads. On the GT and v6 it is the same open face bracket. On the cobra, it's reinforced and has a wider slot for the rotor. But the actual caliper is the same.

21_cal_comparsn.JPG

That's why i suggested either modifying the GT bracket to fit the cobra rotor, or reuse your GT calipers and just purchase the Cobra u-brackets for $80 from Ford.

Also, the pads are different. The Cobra pads are thinner. If you use GT pads (new...worn pads may work) they won't fit over the rotor.

When i had my '03 GT, I only did the front cobra brakes and left the GT rears. It was fine, but the puny rear rotors in the open bullitt wheels bothered me a lot

Just did mine. All new parts, front and rear.

10th anniv cobra calipers (BFR) - $380+ship
Rear bracket kit w/ rotors (AM) - $180+free ship
Front Rotors (aftermarket) - $100
Brake Fluid - $18, whole system flushed
Rear diff fluid & modifier ~ $20
New banjo bolts (needed course thread) - $15

Total $713, all new parts.