Building A 302 Looking For Suggestions

slyyguy

Jun 24, 2015
Hey guys, i have been building a ford 302 for a while now that i will be putting in my 89 lx i just have some questions for you guys. I ave 351 w heads on the engine and i need a 4 barrel intake to go on it (previous owner ran a 2 barrel) the one on it now is a stock 302 intake i was just wordering if you guys had suggestions on intakes to look for that are desirable. I will be putting a edlebrock 650 cfm on it and need a low rise intake due to the fact i do not want to cut the hood. Another question i was wondering about was build the bottom end i mistakenly bought a 28oz crankshaft when my motor was a 50oz set up i now need a new fly wheel and balancer for it. Do the 28oz and 50oz share the same teeth count and diameter. The tranny is a c4 and was wondering if you guys could link me some products to look at. Finally i know this is not about the engine but today im going to buy a 8.8 rear end for it that came out of another v8 fox i was wondering if the driveshaft i have for the swap will fit without customizing it. The other car my drivetrain came out of was a 7.5 rear end car so i just wanna know if ill need a new driveshaft or not (The rear end is $50 and i got ford racing gears for it for free). Thanks alot if you actually sat through this and read it and if you can help me out it will be greatly appriciated

• Sponsors (?)

Going to try and answer these honestly.
There is no desirable carb intake for what should be an efi year. An eddy performer intake matched to the 650 should be a good running combo.
Buy the 28oz balance and wheel. They will bolt right up.
For the drive shaft if you had an I original 5spd car the the ds should work. If it was an auto you will want a ds from a manual. The auto shaft is too short.

If you have a 28 oz crank, you now have a 28 oz motor and will need matching flexplate and balancer. Stuff from 78 and up is four bolt balancer and will fit your pulleys. Make sure to match the tooth count for the flexplate/flywheel. My 82 seems to run well with an Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Holley 80457 600 cfm vac secondary carb.

Reactions: 1 user
For some reason your links don't show your particular parts for me. But if the assembly is balanced to 28oz then yes you need a the same in a harmonic balancer-flywheel. Otherwise your motor will shake itself apart.

Edelbrock performer intakes work well for decent mannered street cars. I ran for years with an edelbrock 650...I used a air fuel ratio guage wired to a stock o2 sensor. Helped with adjustments and let me keep an eye on how the fuel was burning. In my 89 Vert I got 26 mph (no kidding) with the fuel burn stoich at 65mph 373 gears. 5 speed .62 5th gear.

Reactions: 1 user