Building A 351w For Boost

SlowFiveOh

Oct 30, 2016
Hey everyone, fairly new to the site.
Ive recently blown another 302 due to fuel system issues. Now i feel like its time to build a 351w.
My current mods are as listed
-msq pnp II
-electronic boost controller
-55mm bov
-dual mishimoto electric fans
-70mm on3 Turbo
-3" vband exhaust from headers back
-47lb injectors
-msd distributor
-large air/air intercooler
-walbro 255lph fuel pump
-3.73 gears
-Built AOD transmission
-slightly upgraded suspension

I have my hands on a 1989 351w and im looking to build the internals for boost.
What would you all recommend? Lets keep the build under 5000$ . my car is a 1991 mustang gt vert, its a street car mainly . id like to see 500whp out of it roughly.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

For 500whp, you don't need to build anything. Keep your tune safe and it will handle it in stock form. Plenty of people making 700+

Well it has 180,000kms on the motor. Im slightly worried that i might encounter the same situation that i have with my 302s. I guess after all is said and done and i scrap the van the motors coming in the complete motor only cost me 300$ cdn.

Well, if you're having fueling issues as mentioned above, you're going to torch any motor you put in there, regardless of the "quality" of the build. Fix the fuel first.

Just curious... How did you screw the 302 up ?

I also run mspnp2 and turbo. Guess fuel pressure dropped causing lean condition.

Yes, fuel issue has been addressed.
Motor #1 - fuel line fell off in tank because some moron hooked it up wrong.
Motor #2 - blew fuel line out the side probably just from defective material.

Both times were during 10psi pulls.

Well guys, my question is should i swap in this motor with no machine work or rebuilding and just cross my fingers? Whats the max boost threshold for the stock components? Seeings the motor makes a N/A 220hp back almost 30 years ago id need butt loads of boost to hit my 500hp mark. Maybe a set of junkyard heads and a off the shelf cam? If so what would anyone recommend? Should i throw in a nice set of pistons? Lower the compression? Whats been a proven method to doing this other then by just not caring and boosting the hell out of it? I would like to be able to use the car all summer long . just looking for anyone insight so i can follow or take it into consideration when building my motor. Thankyou anyone who replies.