Bullit Pedals - oops

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
Well, my Bullit brake and clutch pedal finally came off after 2 years. Looks like I have to delve back into that hour long fiasco again. Any new tips other than soap and hot water?

• Sponsors (?)

I just did mine 2 weeks ago. soap and hot water helped some, but didn't get em on totally (even with all the foot mashing I could manage).

I ended up using my smallest flat head screwdriver and spent about 30 min. in a nasty contortion slowly working the rubber over the pedals from the back.

I accidentally sliced the rubber a few places in the back w/ the screwdriver but they're not serious and I think it actually made it a bit easier in the end to get them on.

The GF likes them so much she wants a set for her focus. I can't wait to do that again. :bang:

good luck w/ yours

urban96 said:
howd tehy come off?

Not sure. I found my brake pedal in the floor a few days ago and today I noticed my clutch pedal was crooked. I touched it and noticed the bottom of it was no longer around the pedal.

I also used a small screwdriver to put them on the first time. I guess I didn't seat them right the first time or it could be that it's been so hot in my car with the windows up that it made the rubber pliable enough to come off with "foot action"

When I did mine, I just used the tip of my foot on the corners/back of the pedals and pulled em' off. :shrug:

If that didn't work, I would have just taken a razor blade down the center.

stroked4.6 said:
Remove the drivers seat.

Absolutely. I can't imagine doing this with the seat in the way. :nice:

Hotwad02GT said:
I ended up using my smallest flat head screwdriver and spent about 30 min. in a nasty contortion slowly working the rubber over the pedals from the back.

Me too, worked ok, probably not the best way to do it, but they're on. Probably a lot of patience would help here. :shrug:

Btw, I pretty much destroyed the stock gas pedal, getting it off (breaking it off, more like it). :D

I nuked a couple cups of water for a about 3 minutes (until boiling) then let the pedals soak for 3 or 4 minutes. The rubber got nice and pliable, although the metal was just a tad hot!

GettinThere said:
Btw, I pretty much destroyed the stock gas pedal, getting it off (breaking it off, more like it). :D

I put all mine on in-car. About 2 weeks ago my gas pedal fell off (I couldn't get the pin all the way back in to save my life). This time I unbolted the whole bracket from the car and did it on the bench. WAAAAY easier!!!

Yeah, when I worked for Roush, we had to work on 2005 Grand Cherokee's, and one of the things we had to do was swap the brake pedal pads with fatter ones. I had to have done at least 3000 trucks when I was there. I just hosed the inside down with white lithium grease, and went to town with a long, skinny flathead. I had a nice method set up that worked pretty good, even with the seat in. I'll have to go try it with my pedals to see if it applies to the stang just the same.

CRZYHRSGT said:
I put all mine on in-car. About 2 weeks ago my gas pedal fell off (I couldn't get the pin all the way back in to save my life). This time I unbolted the whole bracket from the car and did it on the bench. WAAAAY easier!!!

Yeah, I unbolted it from the car, but didn't remove the cable from it. That was enough to allow me to get it done.
:nice:

Replacing Bullit Pedals

I recently put a set of Bullit Pedals on my 96 GT, and thought I was going to boil them away in hot water trying to get them pliable enough to put them on, and they still weren't going on. I finally put a VERY SMALL dab of wheel bearing grease on the inner lip of the pedals and they slid on like magic and have not moved since...Forget boiling and prying with screwdrivers, but remember, only a VERY SMALL dab of grease does the trick!!!!!!:nice:

How did you get that little plastic retainer off the top of the bracket so you could get the throttle cable out??

after you boil them, put a dab of silicone or rtv on the metal pedal, assuming you get the pedal covers on without much mess they will hold better.

Also if it's not much of a hassle to you, you could always remove the pedal assembleys and zip tie the cables in place until you re-install.