Bullitt Suspension Installation?

Michigan

May 26, 2005
Take a guess....
What's up guys and gals, new to these forums. There is a lot of very helpful information on these boards. Very nice.

Now to my question. I am thinking about upgrading my suspension to the Bullitt kit. Thing is, I am new to suspension mods. I was wondering how difficult it is to install this kit yourself? Also is there anything else you need besides the shocks, springs and swaybars?

Proud to be part of the community,

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

id say that putting the car up on jackstands is the hard part. you should be able to do it in a hour or 2. where at in michigan do you live? i live by the metro airport. you would need a internal spring comprossor for the front springs, and maby, im not sure, never tried it, but some external spring compressors for the rear. i'll try it tomarrow.

I am out near Selfridge. I've got the jack and jackstands just wondering if a weekend mechanic can tackle a job like this? I was at Belle Tire today and they quoted me $950 for the Eibach ProKit and installation. Thought that was a little steep. Somebody mentioned they found the Bullitt kit for $399 online. Did a search for detailed installation instructions to no avail. Anyone know where to find some?

Thanks,

Tom

Michigan said:
I am out near Selfridge. I've got the jack and jackstands just wondering if a weekend mechanic can tackle a job like this? I was at Belle Tire today and they quoted me $950 for the Eibach ProKit and installation. Thought that was a little steep. Somebody mentioned they found the Bullitt kit for $399 online. Did a search for detailed installation instructions to no avail. Anyone know where to find some?

Thanks,

Tom

If you're a weekend mechanic, i have been told, you should have no problems, and that even a blind, drunk, retarded monkey can do this. If you've got the time and patience. So i guess you'd have to be a blind, drunk, retarded patient bored monkey.

The hardest part for me was the struts, the nut at the top had to be removed with an air impact driver, which is the one air tool I DON'T have. I used 2 floor jacks and did it myself in my garage. I installed springs on a car once using a lift, but I found it was no more difficult at home in the garage.
I took 3-4 hours, but you have to know how I protect my car to understand why. I wrote out detailed instructions on how I did the whole install for a friend, I still have it if you want to PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

i installed the bullitt kit by myself in my garage. i used no spring compressors or air tools. i also didn't disconnect the tie rods. probably would have been easier with any of the above...but its done. i found some online instructions and bought a haynes manual. took me two days with no help.

inferno9898 said:
i installed the bullitt kit by myself in my garage. i used no spring compressors or air tools. i also didn't disconnect the tie rods. probably would have been easier with any of the above...but its done. i found some online instructions and bought a haynes manual. took me two days with no help.
thats baddass. how'd you get the front springs in?

The springs will be the hardest part, but even those are easy, I was able to do all 4 in under an hour :D

I used 1 jack and a pair of jack stands, and no spring compressor, I did have an electric impact to speed things up, but it is not needed.

I did throw a small chain through the spring and A-arm pivot point just in case the spring wanted to say hello to me, but they were never needed.

I followed the instructions here
Click here for spring install instructions

There are a couple things with those instructions. (I took this from an earlier post where I was instructing on spring install, so I added the bold notes for the full kit)

1. You need to undo the front swaybar on whatever side it is you are working on. They show it in the picture, but don't list it as a step in the instructions.
You will be replacing the sway bar any way so go ahead and remove it

2. At the top of the strut you only need to undo the large center bolt, not all three bolts as shown. (If you have a hard time with the nut at the top you could also undo the two nuts at the bottom of the strut.)
you will need to undo both the center nut and the two lowers to replace the strut

As a side note, if you have new CC plates to install at the same time, you will have to undo the 3 at the top of the strut.

I just did my whole set( shocks/struts springs) last weekend.H&R supersports and tokico's. It took me an actual 6 hours pulling in to pulling out. That was with plenty of breaks and dinner in between. The rears are really easy. It took more time taking the lining out of my trunk to get to the shocks then it did to actually remove the springs. I followed the steeda install from mustang world as well. Before the install I knew very little about suspension so it can be done. I must say that ride is awesome compared to stock.A little bouncy in the rear but you get used to it fast. The drop is absolutely perfect perfect!Pics will come later :banana: