Burning oil ......please help me.

I had my motor rebuilt about 5000 miles ago and hear lately its been wanting to burn oil. :nonono: But it doesnt blow smoke or have any tell tell signs of oil usage. :shrug: I do race the car and some people say it might be oil blow-by from accelerating hard is this true or are the rings already going bad? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Best way I have found to check for oil smoke coming out of the pipes is to have someone drive behind you while you get on it hard. You can ride down the hwy at night and get in front of another car and punch it. You will see the smoke in the headlights of the car behind you if you watch in the mirror. Its just hard to say if its oil smoke or fuel with this method, but if you see no smoke you can eliminate burning oil as the culprit. I am assuming that you looked real good for leaks.

Did you take time to break in the motor, or start putting the hammer down right off the bat? How many miles do you go before it gets a quart low?

yeah im curious whether it was broken in right? oil is either leaking for car from engine externally, going past the valve guides on the heads, or past the rings on the pistons.

Its not totally uncommon for mustangs to go through a quart every couple thousand miles just due to blow by thru the valves....especially if you are racing it. I really woundt worry too much about it. How much oil are you actually going through?

if you suspect pcv, you could make a catch can from a soup can and stick a clear fuel filter on and see how much is getting by (thank Michael Yount for the idea.). i will do it for fun if i ever get caught up.