Buying A Used Mustang First Car

Xenoid

Sep 23, 2006
Yes the title reads right. I am 19.5 and live in BC, Canada. My current driver is an 03 Neon which is about 130hp and 130ft-lbs while weighing 2600lbs. I drive this thing like crazy in the corners.

I've been looking at used 95-99 Mustangs and I've test driven two (98 GT, 97 3.8) because there aren't any more in town. However, I am worried that I might be doing a stupid thing. You guys can convince me to buy one (or not). I'll mention gas mileage is a nice thing to have, but not a massive concern. I don't drive that often or that far.

Why a stang? I've always loved the look/feel/atmosphere of them, and my dad had a 70 and 81 himself, the 70 being his first car as well.

In the 4.6L I noticed the car felt much bigger, and the engine felt much bigger, but I didn't feel like I traveled as 'fast' (good or bad?) and it felt very bulky to handle and acceleration didn't seem super fast as this was my first time driving a car with more than 130hp.

In the 3.8L I noticed it felt much more like my current driver (03 Neon). It didn't seem as heavy weight-wise (but close), felt like I was traveling faster, and felt like it accelerated faster.

Was the 4.6 in need of a tune up or am I insane? Could it be the way I was sitting in the vehicle, or the tires? 245/40/17 on the 4.6 and 225/55/16 on the 3.8.

In the winter I am presuming this vehicle is going to be useless? How about with good winters and weight in the rear? It doesn't matter if it's completely unusable in the winter as I can borrow another vehicle for this (90 Tercel).

Price-wise in Canada these things are not too bad. An older-than 99 GT goes for about 6-8k and I've recently found a decent 99 GT for 9.5k. Reliability is one of my concerns which is why I'm only eyeing under 150,000 km and having it inspected by a friend who I trust (because he is a Mustang fanatic and excellent at mechanical and bodywork).

Last concern is the fact that I'm not terribly great on a 5spd tranny. I have about 30 minutes of experience with one and I do stall a bit. Should I get the automatic or the 5spd? Will I regret one or the other?

I know this is probably a terribly long and boring post, but I'd love any input from you guys.

• Sponsors (?)

lmao at post before mine.

well the power difference between a 98 4.6L and a 99 4.6L is a very noticeable one so i'd go check out that 99. (215hp(i believe) compared to 260)... so yeah a 99+ 4.6 will make double the horsepower and over double the torque of your neon, combined with rear wheel drive that pushes you rather than pulls... if you dont feel like your accelerating faster than somethings seriously wrong... the faces on the passengers in my stang is priceless, especially those that have ridden in my friends corvette... the stang just feels ALOT faster (and is faster)... my buddy who owns the corvette said it best "you fishtail when your car shifts, you have to much power please dont ever floor it when im with you again"

That said, i drove a 3.8L mustang when i had my 210hp/220tq car and i thought it was ridiculously slow.

No stock mustang will be good in the corners, v6 or v8, the v8 has a beefier suspension than the v6 so it should handle better.

Auto or stick is up to you, all my cars up until this one have been sticks, this is my first auto and i dont miss stick THAT much, and that said there are TONNES of times when im extremely glad i bought an auto, like those days after work. If i ever get bored i just floor it and go sideways. A slow auto on the other hand (like my winter beater) is hell, i can't handle that... in fact i cant handle anything without power, i get very frustrated that it can't meet my expectations... which is why i keep modding and why i keep buying bigger cc toys every year or two.

If you think the neon accelerates faster i suggest you line up with a mustang and find out.

oh and finally, why do you need a winter beater you live in BC... your winters are like freaking spring compared to ours. Mustangs aren't too bad in winter with winter tires and a bag of sand in the back.

Try to go 99+ and absolutely go 4.6. I think you will be very dissappointed in the long run if you go with a v6 stang. As for 5 speed or auto, personally I'd choose the 5 speed. My last mustang was an auto and I just think driving is much more fun now. I drive mine year round and really don't have problems, you just have to be smart about winter driving and take your time in snow. My 00 handles much better in snow/rain than the 94 did, but I managed in that one as well. Mustangs are fun cars, if you're already thinking about one, you should go for it.

u gotta really want a mustang to buy one. its just a mustang guy kinda thing. read the other post about "if ur mustang guy" and ask yourself if you could drive one. YES they are heavy and feel big, and YES they can rattle and pop at times, but they are very realiable, a blast to own and drive, and buying a stang is only the beggining. that why were all on here! :nice: (exept for KT)

For you I would honestly just keep the Neon. You have a lot of basic questions that you have to answer for yourself. As said before, if you still refer to yourself as a 1/2 year I don't think you should get anything with the power of a mustang. I'd get a V6 if I were you. Also, being in BC Canada I would stick with the V6 because of the weather up there...

I'm not trying to discourage you or sound like an arse about it but you might need to do some more research, then ask more specific questions.

Hauuse96gt said:
If you still refer to yourself as 19.5 you are not mature enough to buy a v8.
You are not mature enough to use the internet. Go sit under your bridge.

PlatinumDevil said:
No stock mustang will be good in the corners, v6 or v8, the v8 has a beefier suspension than the v6 so it should handle better.
I didn't expect the stock Mustang to be very good in corners so it's not a huge concern.

PlatinumDevil said:
If you think the neon accelerates faster i suggest you line up with a mustang and find out.
I'm not saying the V6 is faster than the V8. I know it's slower, but the car I drove somehow felt from my perspective, not as fast. It felt like driving the neon. I would floor the V8 from a start or already moving at 60km/h~ and it didn't seem to accelerate that fast. It also didn't feel like I was moving fast at 110 km/h either. However, I think it was somehow related to the way I was sitting in the car. It also felt lower than the V6.

PlatinumDevil said:
oh and finally, why do you need a winter beater you live in BC... your winters are like freaking spring compared to ours. Mustangs aren't too bad in winter with winter tires and a bag of sand in the back.
The winters in Prince George and Whitehorse are not very pretty and I've lived there, but like I said, the winters in Kelowna are only bad for about 4 days of the year, although nobody can drive in mid-summer either.

I need a "beater" because I drive to Big White which is a logging road paved in ice. It's also very narrow and windy and the corners blow. It's not a sheet of ice in the spring though.

merc123 said:
For you I would honestly just keep the Neon. You have a lot of basic questions that you have to answer for yourself. As said before, if you still refer to yourself as a 1/2 year I don't think you should get anything with the power of a mustang. I'd get a V6 if I were you. Also, being in BC Canada I would stick with the V6 because of the weather up there...

I'm not trying to discourage you or sound like an arse about it but you might need to do some more research, then ask more specific questions.
I think I can handle the vehicle quite well, but thanks. I will keep the neon for autocrossing.

Yes I have a lot of basic questions. My current car is underpowered, fwd, automatic, and economical. It's a bit of a change, but I've never had any problems going from a 100hp beater to a 400hp beast. This wasn't long term though.

And yes you kind of sound like an ass. Just because someone may be young doesn't mean they can't drive worth a damn. Go look at Frankie Muniz.

Xenoid said:
Yes I have a lot of basic questions. My current car is underpowered, fwd, automatic, and economical. It's a bit of a change, but I've never had any problems going from a 100hp beater to a 400hp beast. This wasn't long term though.

And yes you kind of sound like an ass. Just because someone may be young doesn't mean they can't drive worth a damn. Go look at Frankie Muniz.

Sounds good, get the 4.6L

In case it hasn't been answered then KT, here ya go.

Yes the title reads right. I am 19.5 and live in BC, Canada. My current driver is an 03 Neon which is about 130hp and 130ft-lbs while weighing 2600lbs. I drive this thing like crazy in the corners.
The Mustang won't drive the same as the Neon in the corners without a few modifications. At the minimimum I would do lowering springs and shocks/struts. There are many good ones including Bilstein, Tokico, KYB. Additionally I would suggest full subframe connectors and a good set of tires

I've been looking at used 95-99 Mustangs and I've test driven two (98 GT, 97 3.8) because there aren't any more in town. However, I am worried that I might be doing a stupid thing. You guys can convince me to buy one (or not). I'll mention gas mileage is a nice thing to have, but not a massive concern. I don't drive that often or that far.
Most stock Mustangs and some modified Mustangs get decent gas milage. The average is anywhere between 18 and 25 MPG with some getting up to 28 MPG on highways.

Why a stang? I've always loved the look/feel/atmosphere of them, and my dad had a 70 and 81 himself, the 70 being his first car as well.
It's just one of those things. You either like it or you don't.

In the 4.6L I noticed the car felt much bigger, and the engine felt much bigger, but I didn't feel like I traveled as 'fast' (good or bad?) and it felt very bulky to handle and acceleration didn't seem super fast as this was my first time driving a car with more than 130hp.

In the 3.8L I noticed it felt much more like my current driver (03 Neon). It didn't seem as heavy weight-wise (but close), felt like I was traveling faster, and felt like it accelerated faster.

Was the 4.6 in need of a tune up or am I insane? Could it be the way I was sitting in the vehicle, or the tires? 245/40/17 on the 4.6 and 225/55/16 on the 3.8.
There isn't so much a difference between the 4.6 and 3.8 bodies. They are built virtually the same. The older 4.6L (I believe those are non-PI) were a little slower than the PI version. Being an older car it may not have the same "punch" that it did when new. All Mustangs are rather clunky and will feel and handle a lot differently than a front wheel drive vehicle. I doubt the way you were sitting in the vehicle makes a vehicle seem "slower". The 16" wheels on the 3.8 will allow it to "acclerate" quicker than the 17" wheels on the 4.6 but the power difference should more than make up for the wheel sizes. The 4.6 may have definitely needed a tuneup.

In the winter I am presuming this vehicle is going to be useless? How about with good winters and weight in the rear? It doesn't matter if it's completely unusable in the winter as I can borrow another vehicle for this (90 Tercel).
More than likely it will be just because of the inherent nature of the rear-wheel drive. I've heard of some guys on here using winter tires and adding weight to the back and being just fine but I would suggest using either your Neon or the '90 Tercel.

Price-wise in Canada these things are not too bad. An older-than 99 GT goes for about 6-8k and I've recently found a decent 99 GT for 9.5k. Reliability is one of my concerns which is why I'm only eyeing under 150,000 km and having it inspected by a friend who I trust (because he is a Mustang fanatic and excellent at mechanical and bodywork).
The 4.6 is very decent motor and some run for a long while as long as you take care of them and perform regular maintenance. I would recommend talking to your Mustang fanatic friend to answer a lot more questions.

Last concern is the fact that I'm not terribly great on a 5spd tranny. I have about 30 minutes of experience with one and I do stall a bit. Should I get the automatic or the 5spd? Will I regret one or the other?
By the nature of an automatic transmission there will be a great drive-line loss than a 5spd transmission. I learned how to drive a 5spd on my Mustang and have been just fine. Be easy on the clutch and don't ride it all the time. Practice makes perfect.

I know this is probably a terribly long and boring post, but I'd love any input from you guys.

We're here to help!