Buying odd size rims, need tire help.

g-force-t-a-kdw.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Well, sears couldn't match the promo, but they did give me 10% off my entire order. They were out of Sumitomo HTRZII, HTR+, and the Goodyears were insanely overpriced. I ended up getting BF Goodrich T/A KDW2 in 255/40/18 front and 285/30/18 rear. That's what sizes were close to your recommendations and in stock. It also includes the warranty on the tires, chrome valve stems, mounting, balancing, and a full front alignment ( I need one since lowering the car anyway). Total out the door: $1160.xx

You made the right tire choice. I have the KDW2's on my Mach, & I love em...They are the best tire for the price range. They have excellent grip, wet or dry, & the treadwear isnt bad.

On the other hand, I also have the Sumitomo's on my other Stang & THEY SUCK. Only cool thing about them is that they are way cheap, & they are 315's. They have no grip whatsoever, & this on on my stock-ish 95 GT.... Great choice & please post pics ASAP!!!:nice:

Interesting. I had Sumitomos on my old H/C/I'd 87, and they stuck like glue, especially around corners. But yeah, the KDW2s are badass looking, and I can't wait to work them out. I also did some reading on the KDW2, and they say no running it below freezing temps or in snow. Seeing as I live in MA, I can tell that by the winter I will be getting some Blizzaks or something like that mounted on my stock rims so I can keep going year round.

Well, went to sears, and they couldn't mount the rears :bang:, something about their machine not being powerful enough to force a 30mm sidewall onto the rim. Then they took them to Firestone down the road to try and get them mounted, and in the process of breaking their machine, put a nice little ding in the DD lip. :fuss: And still got nowhere. The rims did look pretty nice, and I saw one of the fronts mounted on the car, which looked good. So before I left, they did my alignment. They told me if it didn't need adjustment, they'd take it off my bill. Surprisingly enough, with aftermarket springs and shocks, nothing was off at all. He said my wheels were a tad pointed left, but the car always tracked straight for me. I told him to just fix it, might as well do a complete and proper job, AND NOW THE DAMN THING TRACKS TO THE RIGHT!! So tomorrow, after they find somewhere to get the tires mounted, I'm going to make them fix the alignment they messed up, and then take it off the ticket because it never should have been done. I think he had my steering wheel off-center. I'm just plain pissed right now. I'm not rolling on my new meats, the first ding is already done, and I didn't even do it myself, and now I gotta argue a 60 dollar alignment off my bill. Oh, and in addition to that, while trying to force the tire onto the rim with bars, they managed to slice the inner edge of the bead open. They assure me that it will not be an issue, as the tire has a big lip to seat, but it just pisses me off. I'm going to make them note it on the final slip, so if the damn thing fails, I own them.

And another thing- I noticed the tires lying side by side, and the 255/40s are taller than the 285/30s. That kinda bugs me, I don't like the look of a taller wheel in the front. Hopefully the stance of the car can kinda cover it up.

18X8.5 I would stick a 245 or 255 on there.

18X9.5 I would stick a 275 or 285 on there. A 295 will fit, but it isn't really worth the extra money. 295's are better on 10" wheels.

Well, I got 'em on finally. I love the look, and the feel overall, but two things are bugging me. First, the sidewall on the fronts, the 255/45 is 1.2" taller than the rear 285/30. It's noticeable, and I don't like it. I might pull my front isolators to try and get the rake back, but it's gonna bother me. The other is that the car feels a bit sluggish. I can definitely feel the increased weight. Lastly, Sears lost one of my center caps, and is working to find them, but I am probably going to get Steeda ones down the line anyway. I do like the way the rears look. Pics tomorrow afternoon if I get home from work in time.

Well, I called sears today, to see if they can't get me a front tire to match the rear, and they already put an order out for some 255/30s. While I'd rather have 40s all around, it's not possible, so I'll take 30s. The ride is amazing, the grip is sick, and I'm overall happy. Pics tomorrow when it's light out, and I want opinions.

And now I look, and BFG doesn't make a 255/30, but they DO make a 285/40, so what I am wondering, is why the hell didn't they order it when I wanted it??

Oh, and my mistake, the fronts are 255/40/18, rear 285/30/18 currently, but it is noticeable. Am I better off trying to get them to grab 285/40s or 255/35s? Sounds to me like the setup EPIK is describing, only 10mm shorter (which I think looks better) all around.