Buying odd size rims, need tire help.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I am going to order a set of 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Stern ST-8 Hypercoated rims on Tuesday. I want to skin them in Goodyear Eagle F-1 GSD3s. I have a goodyear card so that helps... Anyway, what tire sizes do I need to order? I want a slight sidewall bulge (I hate tires that look too skinny on the rim), but I also want them to handle well, and I love the twisties. What's the widest yet still good performing tires I can slap on these bad boys?

• Sponsors (?)

The wheels:
st8hb01.jpg

The tire:
gsd3v.jpg

Not sure on size. Sorry. But your gonna love those tires. I have them and they are awesome. Hook up very well when warmed up. But that tire for 18's are gonna cost alot of $$$. Good luck.

dude, I already said what size rim I am getting. and they're .5" off of what everyone else runs anyway with x9 and x10 rims anyway. And if I was worried about tire prices, I wouldn't be into modding my stang. But thanks for a useless response. Now, if anyone else can tell me what sizes will dress these 'skinny' rims properly, I'd appreciate it.

Well, I just found out that Sears has Sumitomos on sale for buy one get one free through Friday. Rather than spending a grand+ on the Goodyears, I might grab a full set of Sumis for like 400.00. I've had a different tire before and really liked it, the ones I am looking at now are HTRzII. They come in 285/35/18 and 245/40/18. Will those look good on there?

Will do. I went and talked to a manager at sears about the whole phantom sale thing, and he's looking into it and might be able to do something for me. Find out tomorrow...

And don't worry, I'll pic whore it up when they get on the car.

Well, sears couldn't match the promo, but they did give me 10% off my entire order. They were out of Sumitomo HTRZII, HTR+, and the Goodyears were insanely overpriced. I ended up getting BF Goodrich T/A KDW2 in 255/40/18 front and 285/30/18 rear. That's what sizes were close to your recommendations and in stock. It also includes the warranty on the tires, chrome valve stems, mounting, balancing, and a full front alignment ( I need one since lowering the car anyway). Total out the door: $1160.xx