By all means, get AFR165 heads!

homerojr

Dec 2, 2002
:jaw: By all means, get those heads!! Let me start from the begining... I finished install on december, and I had some problems with rockers and valve covers, easily solved. My mechanic then suggested me to drive for some days, giving some time for the EEC IV to "learn" new patterns and to let parts (spring valves mainly) get a break-in period. So he took a very conservative approach with timin and such, didn´t even change the fuel pump (190 walbro, which I had bought already). Initially I felt the car really stronger ( see my sig below), up to 5500, however would hardly rev to 6000. I was wondering if the valve springs were maybe causing this, but I had no signs of floating or pinging, whatever. Some weeks later it was time for fine tuning. Enter the new fuel pump, FPR, and timing.... and WOOOOW.. Took it for a spin and the little screaming devil seems to wanna rev to destruction! I don´t have numbers yet, but my SOTP don´t lie, this thing flies.
Just something to remember: Only for a miracle if you ever achieve the expected performance for a given high performance part without trying, testing and tuning.
Thanks to the people at the forum:SNSign: , I really owe you all my learning!

• Sponsors (?)

Pokageek - Don't just throw your timing at 18*. Some like it less and some like it more...Try different numbers. 10* is pretty weak though...get it up there a bit...good luck!

10*?

Get that timing to 18* asap!!

:lol: Yes ], I agree, it made a lot of diference, but no small gain came from the higher fuel pressure and volume, too. Aluminum heads can take a lot of "abuse" before they start pinging, thanks to greater heat dissipation. Just be aware to go from 2° at a time. I paid $1300 at Central Florida Motorsports, 7 months ago. Before install, I´ve done some light polishing and porting to the ports (mainly to gasket match intake and headers); the cobra intake received TMOSS treatment (thanks for your article). At this time , front and rear Bullit brakes were added (God they were needed!).
Probably a good tune and careful install on TFS, Edelbrock, Holley heads may bring at least the same satisfaction I got ( not yet any dyno charts), but to my own experience, and according to countless suporters, these heads rock!!!:hail2: ...and there´re still some hidden horses (a better cam, CAI, Tweecer, etc.) :banana:

Gotcha guys. I am not dumb enough to just bang my timing up to 18dg, lol. But thanks for checking up on me with that one! :) I will probably try 12 and see how it goes first just to be on the safe side.

Pokageek - Keep bumping it up in 2* increments...you will probably find it running best around 16-17* from what I have seen and heard. Just listen for it to ping...back it down a degree or two from there to compensate for different loads/temps later on...good luck!

5spd GT said:
Pokageek - Keep bumping it up in 2* increments...you will probably find it running best around 16-17* from what I have seen and heard. Just listen for it to ping...back it down a degree or two from there to compensate for different loads/temps later on...good luck!

Hey, thanks man! I thought 18 was a joke. Will try it.

Pokageek said:
Hey, thanks man! I thought 18 was a joke. Will try it.

It'll like somewhere between 16 and 20*. My very first combo I did was a full TFS combo. At the track I went from 14* to 18* timing and went 1.5mph quicker. Back then I used to hit the track often so I was consistent. No, 18* wasn't a joke, its what most TW headed cars find as the sweet spot. Im no rookie to tuning TW combo's :) If you have a tuning device shoot for 34* total upstairs.

"Tuning" is as simple as turning the distributor and turning the allen screw on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Easy stuff...you'll get it! Just drive and listen...