C4 To 5spd Swap In A 66 L6

Caveman49

Jan 12, 2018
Alabama
Again, I've tried to search for the info needed, but find a lot of it fairly dated and not quite answering what I need. Anyway......

I've been contemplating installing the 84 Mustang GT T5 trans I have in my daughter's 66 convertible. It has a 200 6cyl in it with a C4. I'm about to pull the drivetrain and try to get some body work done as time permits. While the engine is out I'll try to freshen it up, that's when I was considering installing the 5spd. Actually the 5spd supposedly came out of a 66 V8 Mustang, it has the adapter and bell attached for a V8.

Some of the questions I have are:

Where can I find a bellhousing at a decent price to work on this swap. From what I read the two bolt starter bell is the one to use, for it will take the 9" clutch. I'll need to get all the clutch parts and flywheel. I have 289 and 302 bellhousings, and sure would like to do some trading.

Is the Z-bar easy to install with this setup, or would a hydraulic or cable setup be easier to install. I can do the work for the install, it may take a bit, but I'll figure it out.

Or maybe I should just put a 289 in it! I'm going to convert it to 5 lug, will be putting a 66 5 lug rearend under it, decisions, decisions.

IMG_3072.JPG

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

too bad you are not near me, i could use the T5 bell housing, and i have teh bell housing you need, a 2.77 bell from a 64 falcon. unfortunately it is still in the car, and i am in no condition to pull it. check over at fordsix.com as there are guys selling the bell housing you need all the time. you also need the flywheel that goes with it. the problem you have is that unless you have a dual pattern bell housing block, you will need the smaller bell that uses the 8.5" clutch. and there are good solutions for a good 8.5" clutch as well, you can find them here;

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=42556

the Z bar is easy enough to install since you would be using all stock parts to that point, all of which you can find in the NPD catalog.

check your bell housing bolt pattern before doing anything, if you see a total of four top bolt holes, two about an inch above the lower top bolt holes, then you can use the larger 3.03 bell housing. check here for more information;

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=50854

I'm in LA, Lower Alabama, and yes the 200 engine has the dual bolt pattern. I'd like to get the 3.03 bell for sure. I do frequent the fordsix site when time permits, lots of good info there as well.
The bell on the T5 is the standard one off a 289, it has the adapter for the trans. I do have a 289 out of a 66 fastback, was considering rebuilding it and dropping it in. Only concern is the vert does have some issues with the sheet metal (rust and bondo from previous owner) and I don't want to put a ton of $ in it.

I like to trade and barter for parts if possible, but yeah $ talks.

Thanks rbohm for the response.
IMG_3070.JPG

the 3.03 was used behind the small six starting in 1967, so look for any small six with the 200(the 250 used the same six bolt bell as the 302). you have a lot of cars to choose from, falcons, fairlanes, mavericks, even rancheros in some years, through about 1979.

That's a good thing having a wide selection of cars to choose from, gives me a better chance to find one around my area.
The second link you sent me from the FordSix.com site is an excellent post by FrankenStang, and has been a great help, thanks again.
How difficult is it to drop a 250 in a 66, any idea? Might be an option too...

dropping in a 250 isnt hard. a few things though, the 250 is taller than the 200 by almost two inches. you can mitigate that a bit by drilling two new holes about an inch above the factory holes in the mount that will drop the front of the engine an inch. you can also get the engine and chassis mounts for the 250 from a 69-70 mustang with the 250, that too will lower the front of the engine.

if you keep the one barrel carb, you can use an air cleaner from a fairmont with the 3.3 six, it is a low profile air cleaner.

with those mods you shouldnt have any problems with hood clearance.

if you plan to upgrade to a two barrel carb, you can use a direct mount adapter that will keep the carb fairly low on the intake. you will have to use a drop over air cleaner though to gain hood clearance.

Thanks again rbohm for your input, always appreciated.

I'm gonna pull the engine and trans out hopefully within the next couple weeks, will then decide with my daughter how were gonna go with this thing. If she wants the 289 we'll go that rte with the 5spd, if she wants the 6 left in it, we'll go that way with the 5spd. I have most of the parts for the V8 swap, so it may be easier for me that way.
I'll post which way we go, and will probably be looking for input from you and others on whichever way we decide. Thanks ago for all your input./Lee

i can give you arguments for going either way, since i have both a mustang with the V8 and a falcon with the six.

the biggest issue with swapping a V8 in place of a six on the 65-66 cars is the front spindles. the six spindle is smaller and lighter duty than the V8 spindle is, so you need an upgrade. heavier springs are also necessary due to the added weight of the engine and drive train. the rear axle should also be replaced since it also is a light duty piece, but it can be kept for a while with a stock engine and moderate driving, it will eventually break though.

you will also need a brake upgrade as well, the stock six cylinder drum brakes are not conducive to good braking performance.

and if you dont think the six can be built to make decent power, i would point you to a user on the fordsix.com website that has built a 63 falcon using the 250 that indeed runs high tens in the quarter mile, and his wife drive the car.

if you need any guidance just ask.

I know the six can be built, but wow, tens in a quarter, that's smokin. I wouldn't build it to race, more to cruise. I have all the stuff you mentioned above to make the swap to V8, no problem there, just a matter of finding the time and my daughter deciding which way she wants to go with it. She doesn't want me bustin my hump working on it, but it's enjoyable for me to work on them. Just wish I could WELD!

Thanks again for helping out and the offer, will definitely ask if I need help.