Fox Cali Smog Check!

TuFun

Females affect them in a very negative way O_o
5 Year Member
Jan 9, 2019
California
I had my Capri RS 5.0 since new and that is a 39-year run. This 5.0 is the original engine that's never been cracked open except for replacing the intake gaskets that leaked oil. You know that cork ends. So you figure a modest 10k miles per year would equate to 390k miles over 39 years. Well, it read at 368k and since the last few years+, I maybe put 3k or less since I'm retired and don't have to drive daily to work.

It failed twice during those 39 years, one was a diverter valve and the other was a faulty EGR valve and that was a long long long time ago.
So had to smog the Capri since Cali still requires it and this is my results from today.

Red is max levels
Yellow is my levels
Green PASSED!!!! :)

Smog Check 4-22-21.jpg

• Happy
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The usual stuff like a tune-up, change oil, filter, and reconnect the EGR valve. Also leaned the carb a little, usually one turn in each air/mix screws. Run a couple of tanks with fuel/carb cleaner. One thing that really cleaned up the test was a catch can on the PCV. That made a world of difference from the smog check I had two years ago. Even the Smog guy was impressed.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Forgot to mention that he has two smog machines, one for 75-99 and 2000+ for the other one. He tested a few late model cars on the 75-99 machine and failed the tailpipe emissions even though they passed the 2000+ machine. Those cars were usually double the output so we were thinking it's all rigged on the new cars since they can't pass emissions anyways.