calling all head guru's !!!! which heads will produce better gains

which head will produce the most hp/torque on a efi 5.0 with full exhaust and boltons

• thumper/power heads/or likewise profesionally ported/valve "jobbed e7's?

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • stock regular GT40 heads?

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • or stock GT40P heads

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

slo95.0

Oct 24, 2003
fort worth texas
calling all head guru's. which heads will produce better gains,cost is not an issue

on a stock mustang with the all the regular exhaust and intake bolt-ons with a cobra manifold.

stock regular GT40 heads?

or thumper/power heads/or likewise profesionally ported e7's?

or stock GT40P heads

which heads will produce the most hp/torque in said mustang.
and in what order to you think they will these heads produce the most power

also, would GT40 heads off a 93-95 lightning produce less power then heads off a 93-95 cobra due to the combustion chamber being bigger? 64vs62 CC ??

thanks for the help

EDIT!!!!

this is completly hypothetical and cost should not be considered in anyway but these three heads are the only options.
and please explain your vote if you have the time, it would be real nice to skoool the newb that is slo95.0

• Sponsors (?)

HairyCanary said:
Dollar for dollar, I'd put my money with the P's (out of the list you gave, at least). Cheap, and pretty good performance.

Dave

thanks but thats exactly what i dont want to see, dollar for dollar is not a issue here.
this is completly hypothetical and cost should not be considered in anyway.
and please explain your vote if you have the time, it would be real nice to skoool the newb that is slo95.0

Well, I'm biased against ported E7's, because I think that it's possible to do better for the same money or nearly so. The P's are the best incarnation of the GT40, the only downside is that they're still heavy iron heads. The upside to P heads is that you can find them full assembled and ready to go for a few hundred bucks if you shop around.

If money isn't a serious consideration, I absolutely believe that a good aftermarket aluminum head is the way to go. I can't find anything negative to say about AFR heads, except that they're a little spendy. But you get what you pay for, and I don't think anyone would disagree that AFR's are the best head you can buy for a 302 right now.

Also, the TFS twisted wedge design is quite respectable, and TFS is offering a H/C/I package right now for $2000 that seems pretty economical (I hear it even includes the stuff you don't usually think to budget for, like gaskets, timing chain, etc).

Dave

thats cool, its common knowledge of the power of AFR's. my dilema is i have some gt40's out of a F150 lightning with a 351W and im wondering if gt40p's or powerheads would make more power than my choice.

more votes and info please!!!

("johnny5 voice") NEED INFO!!! ("johnny5 voice")

slo95.0 said:
thats cool, its common knowledge of the power of AFR's. my dilema is i have some gt40's out of a F150 lightning with a 351W and im wondering if gt40p's or powerheads would make more power than my choice.

more votes and info please!!!

("johnny5 voice") NEED INFO!!! ("johnny5 voice")

Stick with the gt40's you have. Have them professionally ported/polished and pretty close to equal to any of the aftermarket heads out there. Might be a little less power, but you will save in the wallet.

Since you have them, you should use them. They are much better than the e7's stock, and after full port/polish they will be great!

e7's were mass produced and they will never live up to the aftermarket heads initial design. Since their design was for small power w/ good fuel economy, they are a complete waste!

The gt-40's are of a much better design. Not perfect of course, but no comparison to the e7's.

My vote. Keep gt-40's, but new springs/rockers/valve guides & port the hell out of them!!
Scott

well they already have comp cams springs on them, and ill be adding a set of 1.7 RR's to go with them as well,

as for as porting them goes, will that even be worth it since i will be using the stock cobra intake(no porting) and stock cam??? this is my goal and i am not changing it, stock cam and cobra intake. i know porting helps but will it be worth the $$$ to do even with these restrictions??

slo95.0 said:
as for as porting them goes, will that even be worth it since i will be using the stock cobra intake(no porting) and stock cam??? this is my goal and i am not changing it, stock cam and cobra intake. i know porting helps but will it be worth the $$$ to do even with these restrictions??
Why not port the Cobra intake, then it won't be a restriction (people use ported Cobra intakes with AFR heads...). Not too expensive (~$100 I think), tmoss does it.

And why stay with the Cobra cam? It's kinda weak.

Dave

You cant go wrong with any late model aluminum head on the market these days, but if you want to stay with the irons, Then go with the Ps. I know a few cars running in the 11s with GT-40 castings!

Put your GT40 heads and stock Cobra on there and give it a spin on the track or dyno. If your not happy, you can always get the heads and intake ported next year - it'll keep you busy next winter. Yep, I do the Cobra lowers for $100 + shipping ~$130 total. 306RWHP and 329RWTQ on last customer's dyno. I think you'll get 260-270RWHP out of the stock GT40, stock Cobra and stock cam (whioch is actually "hotter" than the Cobra cam). Give it a shot.

tmoss said:
Put your GT40 heads and stock Cobra on there and give it a spin on the track or dyno. If your not happy, you can always get the heads and intake ported next year - it'll keep you busy next winter. Yep, I do the Cobra lowers for $100 + shipping ~$130 total. 306RWHP and 329RWTQ on last customer's dyno. I think you'll get 260-270RWHP out of the stock GT40, stock Cobra and stock cam (whioch is actually "hotter" than the Cobra cam). Give it a shot.
260-270ish to the wheels?? that would be fine by me :)

as for porting the intake, believe me i would like to, but(here is comes) this is my only car, and the cobra is already installed, and to me its not a race car, just something to have fun with. that being said it would be a royal pain in the ass to take the cobra off, buy a cheap prolly stock intake and slap it on while the i have it ported. then swap em out again, yes this is possible but the extra 10hp (that figure being optimistic) that i would get by porting the intake is not worth the trouble to me. work retail :bang: and i rarely get 2 days off in a row.

now if i could port the intake over the weekend while doing the install on the heads, then i would do it, but i have been told many times this is just not possible, and im not gunna go playing with it myself with a dremel tool on a aluminum intake becuz this minimal gain that i would be able to get from porting it myself isnt worth the risk of cracking/damaging that relativly fragile aluminum.

and if im not gunna port the intake, why bother porting the heads. <-------tmoss do you think i should have the heads ported even if i leave the intake alone?????? :shrug: :shrug:

im not doing a cam becuz of fear of a 94-95computer screwing up my daily and only car, plus it will leave me with something to do down the road when i get a beater and stop the madness that is working on my only car.

sorry about the novel guys , just thought id be clear for once :nice:

Cavallo said:
AFR, U get what U pay for !
ugh why cant people like you stop making posts about heads that ARE NOT ON THE LIST!!! if it was an option, i would have added it as one, anybody that doesnt know by know that AFR's are the best head out there should hit themselves in the head with a hammer!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: