Cam questions

JD’s Red Stang

Jun 2, 2021
NH
I have a 98 GT and I am getting ready to do a PI swap. While the heads are out I figure it would be a good time to do the cams and springs. My question is what will work best for a stock bottom end stage I or Stage 2? I have heard there are clearance issues with stage 3 and up. Looking to keep it naturally aspirated. I would love to have opinions or personal experience with this. Choosing between comp cam stage 1 or 2.

• Sponsors (?)

I had Comp 262's in my old 96. I didn't degree them in but I did have help holding the timing chain in place while swapped the cams. This depends on if you have bolt on or press on cam gears. Mine were bolt on so it made it easy. You will need a tune to get optimum performance.

If you are having a shop do this then you should have no issues. Problem is it's hard to find shops that work on the older cars.

I had Comp 262's in my old 96. I didn't degree them in but I did have help holding the timing chain in place while swapped the cams. This depends on if you have bolt on or press on cam gears. Mine were bolt on so it made it easy. You will need a tune to get optimum performance.

If you are having a shop do this then you should have no issues. Problem is it's hard to find shops that work on the older cars.
Did you have pi or npi heads? I am also wondering about PTV clearence as well.

Stage is just a generic term for roughly what type of other parts you might have to have to support the part you are installing. Stage 1 would mean everything would more than likely run fine with a factory setup but each shop is different. For example. I got my stage 2 cams from modular head shop. They offer a stage 2.5 they call it that needs stiffer springs but if you go stage 3 a supporting part or parts that would be needed is pistons with valve reliefs, stiffer springs , and if going over 400 rwhp on the 4.6 you would need stronger connecting rods. It’s best to just do due diligence with each part to confirm if any supporting parts are needed.