Engine Prw rockers, trick flow cam, gt40 heads

67fox

Apr 15, 2024
Toledo oh
hey, I'm about to get my 67 on the road. I did a roller swap 5 years ago and put an 01 explorer 5.0 in it with the gt40 heads, and a trick flow "stage 1" cam. The base circle of the cam was smaller than the factory cam, so I was directed to put on the prw 351 full roller rocker arms on it, the ones that adjust at the pushrod. I was wondering if anyone has any experience adjusting these? I have little experience with motor building and I am hoping I had good guidance with my valvetrain setup.

Attachments

• 20210613_175123~2.jpg
    20210613_175123~2.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Sponsors (?)

So to me it appears you set the lash just like an adjustable roller rocker only you are using the valve lash adjuster on the push rod rather than the stud mount nut on an adjustable roller rocker. Their installation instructions are here but lack the detail on when you adjust each rocker.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5AYQ7ChVGbmkFbkRMiuElnwYGxPxErc/view

I have Scorpion rockers and used this procedure:

I think if you just take the part out of the Scorpion instructions on where the rocker needs to be when adjusting the intake and exhaust valves you should be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Adjust the intake as the exhaust starts to open
Adjust the exhaust as the intake starts to close....
These instructions worked well for me....

Hey all

Quick overview, i put a 5.0 out of a 2001 moutaineer in my 67 coupe. I put a trick flow stage 1, part number TFS-51402000 on LMR.com in my car, and had serious issues with valvetrain geometry. I was directed by an engine builder to install prw 351 rockers in it that adjust at the pushrod, because he said that the base circle of the cam was smaller than the stock cam in the engine. He found this out by sleuthing, as it was already installed in the motor, but I am having a hard time finding that spec on the trick flow website as well as that spec for the factory cam. Where do I find this information? After talking to a 5.0 guy at a local speed shop, he said it was odd that that would happen, as he's never seen that before from a TFS stg1 cam, but hes seen it on other cams that were set up for a roller conversion for an older non roller 302 block. im wondering if I got the wrong cam somehow.

TL;DR what is the base circle spec for the trick flow stage 1 cam, TFS-51402000 and what is the base circle spec for the factory cam in a 2001 mountaineer 5.0

Ok more details I'm remembering now. The block is from an 01 mountaineer. Initially had gt40p heads. The heads are the regular gt40 from a 98(?) Mountaineer, something like that. The cam is for a 85-95 mustang 5.0/5.8. I think this is where I got crossed up, too many mixed and matched parts going on here. Can anyone verify or point me towards where I went wrong? Are the heads different at the rocker stud or something?

96-01 the Mountaineer and the Explorer ( ford-Mercury) could be ordered with the 302..
96-97 got the GT40 heads ( 3 stripes on front and back of head), 98 up got the GT40P heads,( 4 stripes on front and back of head)..
No difference in the valve/Rocker assembly that I know of....

Just posted on your other thread....they're both on the same topic ...

Can a mod combine these ? keep all the pertinent information together and making helping easier.

I’d be very cautious with that rocker setup . They are not the best materials , in my opinion.

I have seen them work and I have seen them come apart . When those needle bearings do come apart it’s a bad bad day