Can I Clock My Altenator?

DRKSD

Nov 29, 1999
Iowa
It's come to my attention after installing the trick flow intake manifold and having to relocate the altenator with the provided bracket, that the red plug coming out of the altenator is attempting to melt its way through my hood liner and if it is successful it will likely start trying to do something horrible to the hood itself soon. Seems to be a clearance issue.

I was talking to a friend who works on some older cars and he suggested that I simply clock the altenator one turn to the right so the red plug is oriented at more of a 3 oclock instead of a 12 oclock position. He spoke of this as if it was a very simple procedure so long as I didn't let the brushes/internals spill out while rotating the back half of the altenator case.

However, after I'd removed the appropriate bolts, I could not for the life of me seperate the altenator into it's halves. I read somewhere that some altenators are press fit or something like that and therefore cannot be clocked, is this the case with the stock mustang altenator? or am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)