Can i make a non roller motor into one?

OK i'm in need of an engine for my bronco. I have a line on an 88 302 motor from a van and i've researched it and i don't think it is a roller motor. The Stock 302 in the bronco is a roller motor. Since i will need a new cam anyway, can i convert the engine into a roller motor with cam and lifters? I know this isn't a mustang but i figured you guys would know better than anyone else. Any info is appreciated, Thanks Guys!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

They have kits to do it but they are not cheap. Look for retrofit roller lifters. Is there any particular reason you need it to be roller?

You can, i believe both Comp Cams and Crane make retrofit kits, but you will need a special cam and lifters to make it work. The cam has much smaller lobes and can only be used with this setup. Not worth it in my opinion, you can get a roller block for pretty cheap if you shop around.

just gotta look around for someone with a 302 sitting in their garage. I have a friend who has a long block 302 sitting in his garage that he would sell to me for 100 bucks. I also know someone who can give me a 302 shortblock for 50 bucks. I think thatll be alot cheaper and easier then converting.

Also i forgot to mention, the retrofit cams are limited in their specs because of their small lobe size....i don't know if that matters but if you want a healthy cam them you wanna stear away from the retrofit and just stick with the solid lifters if you don't get another block.

It's a lot more expensive but a true solid roller lifter setup makes for one badass engine!

You can also have your block drilled and install the ford factory spider tabs and run factory roller lifterd. Must be careful when drilling due to the fact you are drilling over camshaft bearings.

This is true but there's more to it than that. Newer blocks have taller lifter bores and the hydrolic lifters are taller/longer than the older lifters, which is why the cam on a retrofit kit has smaller lobes, because the lifters have to sit into the cam space to fit into the block far enough.

call me crazy....but the 88 351 block is roller engine....just FORD never installed roller lifters or cam. So I will go on a limb and say installing 302/351 roller lifters into the engine with a roller cam will make it a roller.

The lifter bores were designed taller for the roller lifters, but ford never installed them until 1994 in the F-250.

Am I wrong here?

retrofit rollers and cams are designed for NON ROLLER engines older than 1980 with short lift bores.

call me crazy....but the 88 351 block is roller engine....just FORD never installed roller lifters or cam. So I will go on a limb and say installing 302/351 roller lifters into the engine with a roller cam will make it a roller.

The lifter bores were designed taller for the roller lifters, but ford never installed them until 1994 in the F-250.

Am I wrong here?

retrofit rollers and cams are designed for NON ROLLER engines older than 1980 with short lift bores.

I'm pretty sure the roller 351 blocks had an F4 casting number, making it a '94 and later part. The '84 and later 5.0 blocks are the ones that were definitely used dual purpose. If the 5.0 in question is in fact out of an '88 Econoline, then it it too should have the roller-ready block equipped with a flat cam. Then a swap just involves a stock roller cam, stock lifters, hold-down spider, and dogbones. Might need pushrods too.

You guys answered the exact question i was just about to ask. I'm thinking about it and couldn't i use the stock parts from the old motor and just put em into the van engine? What are you talking about the spider thing? What do you mean by it?? The old engine should have the cam and roller lifters i need to do the swap right? Hmmm, that would almost be too easy!

I now see that the motor in question is 88 302...in that case....it should be a roller already. easy way to tell, is if it is wired from the distributor the same as mustang. The non roller 302 has old 302 wireing.

1.)I'm thinking about it and couldn't i use the stock parts from the old motor and just put em into the van engine?

2.)What are you talking about the spider thing? What do you mean by it??

3.) The old engine should have the cam and roller lifters i need to do the swap right?

4.)Hmmm, that would almost be too easy!

1.) Yes.
2.) It is a stamped metal thing that bolts down in the lifter valley and is partially responsible for holding the lifters down and keeping them from rotating. You'll see it when you pull the Bronco's intake.
3.) Yup.
4.) Careful saying that or something will go wrong.;)

Am I wrong here?

I pulled an 88 351 out of an e250 van, it was a solid lifter motor but the block itself was identical to a roller block. The holes in the lifter valley were present ( i did not check if they were tapped) and the areas around the lifter bores for the dogbones were flat and would not require any grinding.

Well, i started tearing the bronco apart. I'm getting the van engine tomorrow. It will definately be the moment of truth!! I was messing around underneath the bronco and the oil pan is pretty cool! Looks like someone put a stick of dynamite inside it. The metal is peeled back and it blew the starter off of the block so i need a new one of those too:notnice: Oh well, if i decide to keep the thing it will have a decent engine and new starter at least!