Can someone educate me on ignition systems please!!

cobradvm

Sep 2, 2003
Woodinville, WA
This is one area I haven't really learned much about so if some one can either point me to the right info or can help explain this, its much appreciated! I have a 1990 GT with a 331 stroker, ported heads, custom cam, full exhaust and all the supporting stuff. It has the stock ignition system. So obviously the ignition system provides spark to the spark plugs. The coil sits on the drivers side strut tower, and sends a current to the distributor cap. As the rotor turns, the circuit completes at the correct time, and the spark plug fires, and walla! combustion!
So what does the TFI module do (and what does Thin Film Ignition mean?)?
Also what benefit is there to getting a new aftermarket coil?
What are the MSD ignition boxes for? These don't replace the coils, so what is their function?

The reason I am asking these questions, is I'd like to move the coil off the strut tower, since I want to install my line lock there, and was wondering if any of the aftermarket stuff might help me accomplish that.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You can move the coil anywhere that you want to. You just need to possibly extend the wires.

The TFI is the ignition module - it receives the base signal from the PIP and later sends the ground to fire the coil.

Aftermarket coils generally wont help much in the SOTP dept. The stock ignition is robust IMHO, and is generally good for close to 400 N/A HP. I'd do a coil for aesthetics but dont expect much.

Aftermarket ignition boxes could crudely be thought of an amplifier and/or capacitor set-up for your sound system. The box allows a hotter spark to be created, and at lower RPM, most boxes fire multiple sparks per power stroke.
The nice thing about a box can be the ancillary features (ignition imposed Redline cut-off, retardation for power adders, etc).

Simply stated, a box is something you add to a complete OEM ignition. You cant use an aftermarket ignition to replace missing OEM components.

For what you desire, as mentioned, just lengthen some wires and find a longer coil wire if needed, and you're good.

The 94-95's mount the coil to the PS bracket - that could be an option to mimic. Or relo' the coil into the fender.

Good luck.