Can someone tell me if I did this right?

• Sponsors (?)

you marked them before taking them off for the swap? (Just trying to get some more info) Because if you did then and set them up correclty then yeah they should be timed but also give the motor a few turns by hand to check if it hits the piston or just moves freely

Yeah even if you're 100% certain it's timed correctly just spin it by hand, if you can crank it around a couple times with no issues then it should be safe, if for some reason it stops turning then you have contact that shouldn't be happening and are probably off 2+ teeth (Don't believe 1 tooth would cause PTV contact but it might...it would run like butt for sure).

I just want to ask how much mechanical experience you have? because I would love to do cams but i don't know if I can research enough information to do them correctly? Anyone know a good place to find this information? thanx

Did you change you valve springs too? Which cams did you get? As long as you marked everything, and put it back together as it was, it should be fine. My uncle never did all the referencing to TDC unless it was out of time. On my Porsche and Mustang we just put dots where the drift keys where, and marked the chains. Started the Mustang up first time no problems. We bumped the Porsche over a few times make sure there wasn't any clacks, and to check the chain tension. No problems there either.

i have enough mechanical experiance to get me by(i work in a body shop). There not hard to do but since its my first time with SOHC cams i wanted to make sure i did it right.

i tried the Ford tool so i wouldn't have to remove the front cover but my friend slipped and the chain dropped, because after i got the first cam in i rotated the crank and it only went about 3/4 of a turn then it stoped so i figured i had PTV.

The cams are PI cams going into a 98 GT, got intake with alluminum crossover too.
Did not change the valve springs because they are Pi cams and read that i didn't have to. But later when i get P&P heads and VT stage 2' s i will get good valve springs

Anyone know a good place to find this information? thanx

Dusstbuster has a good write up its in his signiture.

also i did not mark the chains and sprokets before hand because i tried the Ford tool first, and skipped a tooth or 2.

what i did is take the timing chain cover off, placed engine at TDC, then took the chains off. Removed and installed cams, then marked the sprokets where the dot is already just so i could see it better.

Then i took the chain for the left side held it up, found the two links that were different, marked them so i could see them better.

Then matched the crank mark with the chain, held it tight along the guide then matched the cam up with the chain.

Repeated for both sides then put back together most the way. Turned the engine over by hand a couple of times and there was no PTV contact.

IF i did something MAJORLY WRONG will someone let me know.
I plan on putting back together the rest of the way tomorrow night.

It doesn't have to be though if i messed up, because its up for winter hibernation anyways

yea I Can do the cams I just need to know all the info such as where to lubricate, torque specs... etc things like that!

Buy a haynes, Chilton or Ford repair manual all very helpful just have to know where to read between the lines.

I have a haynes and it told me to remove the oil pan in order to remove the timing chain cover. you don't have to do that. Just have to know when to use common since with somethings.

Search here and on other forums and u will find more than you need. Just take your time and do it right don't try any tricks and try to have someone that knows what they are doing with you or atleast someone mechanically inclined with you.

lol I am mechanically inclined and I understand how everything works in the engine. I just need to find the specs. I am almost finished with an Engineering degree so If I can't do this ... shame on me!

Easier, not as much stuff to mess around with as far as tolerances/backlash etc. I would never attempt a rear end gear install on my own, I did the cam/manifold swap with just a friend and my dad, me having no prior hands on knowledge of engine internal workings.

By the way, I have a how-to with plenty of pics (I think) in my sig...